Remember that they really control a Community

by EdLogan 9 Replies latest jw friends

• EdLogan
    EdLogan

There's a lot going on, and a lot of saying.
    The interpretation of the Scriptures, their internal doctrine and their policy change.

The 1914, 1919 and its consequences.

The birthdays and other holidays.

The beard, the tie, the slacks.

The "Hi, nice to see you here".

But at the end of the day, what they're in control of, is a community. A society of people. And a corporation as well, that controls all this.

Many of them don't even really mind about those changes. They care jack sh1t about the tie and the jacket. They really join the cult because of the PEOPLE, the social trait of it, the fact that they probably had noone to socialize with, and they suddenly got a community of folks who welcome them with love bombing, and act as a "large family" even with many contitions. They're now part of a COMMUNITY.
    And that's what keeps them inside as well, even when they become PIMOs. They don't wanna lose family and friends.

At the end of the day, Watchtower controls PEOPLE, that's their power.

At the end of the day, doctrine is just a detail, and everything can change.

At the end of the day, we all must understand this.
    So, if you really want to "wake up" people, drag them outside and have them back in your life, you have to show an alternative to the cold shower and the trauma they would get by leaving the Borg. They really really need an alternative, it's not like anyone can leave a cultish organization and be so brave to face all the trauma and feel suddenly isolated.
    You must show that there is something for them outside. A COMMUNITY.
    If you're a Christian, show that you love them and that there are christians outside the Borg. They would listen only if you are convincing using their same basics, especially if they're PIMI. In any case, the ex-JW community should really unite and "preach" to them, try to overcome the "no-apostates" barrier they have in their mind. The right time is now that they're weakening.
    At the end of the day, just my two cents.
  • Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

All the reasons you list is why I no longer care for "waking" people up, but want to see reform happen.

I would rather the people I love that are still in the organization have a less oppressive environment than have them go through that emotionally turbulent crisis of faith.

Yes, it sucks that they believe lies.

But so does every religion that has magical thinking.

The things that make JWs unique is specifically the level of behavior and information control the org inflicts on the flock.

If they went down to church on the corner levels of control and brainwashing, I would see that as a huge victory.

As it stands, the religion I woke up from in 2014 is no longer the same religion. That Watchtower has crumbled. The Watchtower of Rutherford's time has crumbled.

What we're left with today is watered down.

For the sake of our loved ones still in it, lets hope it continues to be watered down even further.

• Biahi
    Biahi

This religion still expects too much from children, that has to stop. Kids NEED to fit in and be normal, for their own mental health. Birthdays, holidays, Pledge of Allegiance, National Anthem, higher education, extracurricular activities, all of it. That’s why I’m so f@#ked up, and why I say if there is a class action for ruined lives, they owe me 5 million dollars.

• EdLogan
    EdLogan

All the reasons you list is why I no longer care for "waking" people up, but want to see reform happen.

I would rather the people I love that are still in the organization have a less oppressive environment than have them go through that emotionally turbulent crisis of faith.

You got a point. I'm also supporting reforms, and especially for the shunning wall to fall. After all, they're free to believe what they want, but one could more easily discuss with them after all.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Waking someone up can be either giving something to them or taking something from them. The circumstances make all the difference. None of my family or former JW friends could say I tried to get them to leave the church. (though one lied and said I had). However, none of those people would be turned away if they honestly had questions. If someone is seeking resolution for their doubts, I feel an obligation to them. Sometimes on this forum, I make an assumption that posters are in that situation. I feel so much sympathy for those struggling with apocalyptic fear and sense of unworthiness or those torn over loyalties to the church or love for family.

• EdLogan
    EdLogan

They can change everything from above the pyramid, the JWs are just addicted to the community WTS created.

They can not live without it, it's a culty addiction. They don't care at all if they reverse all the doctrine, there's ZERO coherence in their belief, it's really just an addiction.

And as an addiction, it needs detox if anything.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Personally, I think the internet is directly responsible for creating the XJW community.

It would have never been possible otherwise, and it has become a support system, in no small part because - by and large - it is accepting of XJWs in a manner that is definitely not the way the WT leadership portrays it.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I like what EdLogan said, except for one thing: "...the ex-JW community should really unite and "preach" to them,.."

The XJW "community" is not a homogenous cluster of born-again evangelizing Christians. We are Atheists, Buddhists, Muslims, Wikkans, Baháʼí and a million other things. Personally, I'm a non-practicing atheist, and I feel that there are plenty of born-again evangelizing Christian XJWs who would wish me and my friends as DEAD as JW.org does.

• EdLogan
    EdLogan

Yes, indeed.

I mean that we should REACH them Inside their walls, break the anti-apostate glass that WTS has built and prevents them from moving.

It’s not like XJW community is a homogeneous thing that can literally preach.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Preaching isn't meant the way the JWs would mean it. How would that occur, anyway? We can't actively seek out JWs and knock on their doors. There are Reddit and quora threads, but there are veterans on both sides who aren't going to be easily swayed by the other side's arguments.

Occasionally someone with doubts will find this place and ask advice, and the exJWs who've been through something similar can provide that advice and some encouragement. The "preaching" that happens here is therefore more reactive than dynamic (hat tip to Vidiot).

Also, it is quite possible to be entirely passive and the anti Watchtower message will get through. This discussion board has been around for decades and has a vast number of threads on pretty well every topic that a questioning JW could possibly have thoughts about. The search function is pretty decent as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit