Tall el-Hammam

by Jerryh 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jerryh
    Jerryh

I was never a JW so rarely post here, maybe to ask a question sometime. Just by an occasional visit it seems most regulars have found the Bible untenable not only in its JW redaction. I get that so please don't view this as an attempt to debate. Not sure if the link will work if not search on Tall el-Hammam for something interesting.

A Tunguska sized airburst destroyed Tall el-Hammam a Middle Bronze Age city in the Jordan Valley near the Dead Sea | Scientific Reports (nature.com)

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I`m not going to go through all of those reports just tell us what your point is in a nutshell ? And what is that to do with the Bible ?

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

For a bible friendly archeologist like Dr Steve Collins and his team the city is the biblical SODOM. So for many evangelical christians like the Calvary church which is supporting such work the matter is solved. However there are problems.

You can listen to his arguments on Youtube: talk by Dr Collins: "As it was in the Days of Sodom and Gomorrah" or read his book.

In a paper "biblical problems in identifying Tall el Hamman as Sodom" are described in this paper by Mr Simon Turpin.

https://answersresearchjournal.org/identifying-tall-el-hammam-sodom/

So much is to study to the subject if the bible is untentable, Dr Collins is working his life for this.

If you find it further exciting what in Dr Collins eyes this discovery has to do with the Second Coming than such stuff is a must to watch.

In either case for JW there is no difference because the bible is anyway true they will find an argument.. Only in one point they have jumped around in interpretation wether the people of Sodom will be resurrected or not and wether it was back then a eternal judgment or not.

I dont know yet if the archeologists of the Nature article are elated to Dr Collins tesearch team.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Unfortunately, this, and many digs in the Bibleland, is funded by church groups and have passionate biases. While it would be rash to say that there couldn't have been some natural disaster that inspired the story, there simply is nothing but wishful thinking to suggest these folks have discovered it. The legends spawned by the hellish landscape around the dead sea have spawned countless futile efforts to assert the location of the cities. Others have insisted upon Syria and others insist Jordan etc. It's very relevant that the report has many critics and detractors, they photoshopped images, they did not practice careful dating, they may be simply misinterpreting the supposed evidence of heat and impact. they found a few disarticulated bones but can't be sure if they are all human but have created a narrative of thousands of bodies being blown apart and roasted. It's sad this 19th century style archaeology still is common.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit