Cover of the September 2016 Watchtower.

by jwfacts 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The cover of the 2016 September Watchtower has an islander couple preaching. The brother looks like he may be Fijian in a traditional skirt standing in a river, doing a presentation on an Apple iPad.

I can't imagine there are many families that can afford an IPad in the Pacific islands. I wonder how this is received by the locals. Does this attract them to the religion or make it seem even more disconnected from reality.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    There would be some parts of the world where pulling out an iPad to show someone the scriptures would probably get you robbed at gun point. I have wondered how they would get on in these areas as this is where the growth is happening.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

And the wifi coverage would be amazing there!?

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

That was my first observation to the cover as well. Unrealistic!

What also surprises me to some extent is the push/acceptance for Apple. After all Tim Cook, is the only openly Gay CEO of a Fortune 500 company. You would think that Apple products therefor could not be used by "True Christians" as they may lead to becoming homosexual or be demon-possessed.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

There has to be some sort of marketing deal going on there, the GB sporting $15000 apple watches and all?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I heard a lot of stories from New Guinea where they had to have security in the car park during the meetings. Even then cars would get stolen. This cover is probably more to imrpress American JWs than a realistic depiction of life in poorer countries.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Does Watchtower have any bulk purchase deal with Apple? Can iPads be purchased through congregations at a discount or does everyone have to obtain their own at list price?

• fulano
  • blondie
    blondie

Didn't they have the kinds of socks people wear on the beach?

I wonder if he wears the skirt on the platform?

• possum
    possum

We went to an assembly a few years ago in Western Samoa and GB Jackson was there in all his glory(used to be a missionary in Samoa/Tonga?), My cousin and her husband were special poineers. Went witnessing with the locals. They are very impoverished.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit