Miserable week ahead for witness kids in England-The Coronation

by Mit123 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mit123
    Mit123

I feel sorry for witness kids this week. Schools going crazy with the coronation in England. Witness won’t be allowed to participate in a harmless tradition that whatever you think of the monarchy will be a lot of fun.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

To be fair, I'm not sure it will be all that difficult. After all, there are plenty of people of all ages and backgrounds who are not interested in the coronation, either because they're not impressed by Charles specifically, or they're against the monarchy as a whole.

There is plenty of open criticism and dissent about the coronation, and I'm sure there will be lots of families avoiding the whole thing. For example, the BBC has an article on its home page right now called "Five tips to avoid the coronation" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65456345

I would imagine it's much more difficult to avoid Christmas and Easter because they are far more celebrated, even by people who are not religious, and also any pro-LGBT or any pro-military occasions (such as Remembrance Day), because ignoring or opposing these is widely disapproved of, whereas avoiding the coronation will be quite accepted by many.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I agree with the first poster. It is one thing for adults to not want to know about this but younger kids at school are going to feel it . I have only seen on the more local tv programs the kids all getting into it , and of course on Sunday or Monday there could well be a street party with flags , and lots of goodies.

The kids are going to feel well left out . When the old Queen was crowned I had just started school and we all lined up to get a Coronation Mug and replica anointing spoon. My Mum didn’t object back then but I guess JW parents wouldn’t allow that now.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

It`s just another way the GB /JW Org. alienates their young / potential MS servant / Elders ,pioneers etc,etc,

Well maybe that`s not such a bad thing .

• Mit123
    Mit123

You’ll see this weekend. The UK will go nuts especially London, it will be packed. School will be doing projects on it all week. And witness kids won’t be allowed to get involved. Saturday morning they’ll be door knocking. I was criticised for going to the queens funeral

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The Coronation makes me feel miserable anyway...and I'm not a Jobot school kid.

I'm neither Monarchist nor Republican but feel the Royal family are no more than figureheads with much privilege. To my mind, this makes them parasites upon society.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    we all lined up to get a Coronation Mug and replica anointing spoon

Didn't get the spoon but we did get the mug and a New Testament with the Coronation embossed on the front. We didn't have a TV in those days so we went to a relative's and watched it. As BB inferred things were not so strict then.

My parents were baptised when I was a young lad in the 1940's but I can still remember the house being decked up for Christmas, the tree with lights and receiving presents. In fact I still have the lights from that tree in our loft!

Maybe dig out the mug and fill it with something, Sis England can have a drink from her coronation cup and saucer.

George

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i'm old enough to remember the queens coronation---well--i remember there was a street party outside the house.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    When the old Queen was crowned I had just started school and we all lined up to get a Coronation Mug and replica anointing spoon.

Seventy years have passed since the last coronation. The UK - and the world - is very different. Millions in this country have no interest in the whole edifice of monarchy, or the pomp and ceremony of a coronation. Many are even openly hostile to the concept. Younger generations born here, along with the many immigrants we now have from all over the world, have no loyalty, understanding of, or interest in, the history or significance of royalty. Heck, many of them don't have any loyalty or respect for any aspect of this country.

As a result, despite all the media coverage there will be, there is not the peer pressure there would have been in past decades to fall in step with such an event.

The Coronation makes me feel miserable anyway.

The same for me, but for a very different reason: it emphasises the loss of the Queen and the accession of a much inferior figurehead, and I feel it marks the beginning of much more decline for the nation and public wrangling over the future of the UK in the years ahead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit