Is it biblical to shun DAd?

by Faraon 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Faraon
    Faraon

Do JW follow the bible when shunning people who left their religion or DFd for non-biblical reasons?

1 Corinthians 5

11But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

12What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

Here Paul says not to associate with anyone who claims himself a brother.

By the very act of disassociating oneself from the borg, one does not call himself a brother. By forcing their congregations not to associate with disassociateds, they are going against the biblical teachings.

What about shunning disfellowshipped people that that are not

1-sexually immoral (whatever that means)

2-greedy

3-idolaters

4-slanderers

5-drunkards

6-swindlers

1. Adultery would definitely fall in sexual immorality yet the borg will not expell adulterers if they have been forgiven by their mates and the adultery has not been made public.

2. Having new luxury cars when a nice Cavalier would do qualifies as greediness.

3. Worshipping a man-made organization is surely idolatry.

4. A good reminder of what is said after someone is DFd. I know many in my family.

6. Not many swindlers I knew personally, but at least one very close to me.

At any rate, these are the only six grounds for disfellowshipping. Not about joining the YMCA, celebrating birthdays, believing the New Lights (whether dark, fluorescent, or reversing), etc.

Any comments?

• Mulan
    Mulan

It's best not to confuse them with the facts.

Seriously, you made some good points there. You should ask one of them, if they come by. I predict they won't have an answer. Question Mark

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The self identification as a "Brother" in that verse does support your position. Yet of course JWs insist an identification as a JW is immutable,unretractable. If you EVER called yourself a "brother" you will henceforth always be viewed as a JW claimant. This is black and white thinking , your either with us or against us cult mentality.

• happy man
    happy man

you say

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

All the letters I have gotten from the WTS began with "Dear Mr [Elsewhere]"....

Here is an interesting fact about the WTS. You can tell who is going to be destroyed at Armageddon or not by how they address you in the letters they write to you If it begins with "Dear Brother/Sister [Name]", then you are a JW in good standing. If it begins with "Dear Mr/Ms [Name]" then you are not a JW in good standing and therefore will be destroyed at Armageddon.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Shunning of a DA person is unscriptural (whatever that means!) because the very classification of DA is unscriptural.

Simple really.............................but not for the Borgmeisters.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit