What type of study subject is this?

by purrpurr 6 Replies latest jw friends

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

I'm finding I'm getting more and more interested in debunking the bible/ Christian beliefs. Looking into the evolution and history of how religion develope.

I'd like to study this further but I don't know what subject it would be classified as?

Ideas?

• VW.org
    VW.org
    YouTube. Then search - Bible contradictions.
  • jp1692
    jp1692

Try In Gods We Trust by Scott Atran.

It’s an ambitious undertaking and a fairly challenging read, but it’s the most thorough scholarly and interdisciplinary examination of the question of which I am aware.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    I'd like to study this further but I don't know what subject it would be classified as?

It is a combination of theology, history, language, sociology and anthropology. Researching information on people's believes and tracing their origin (which is one of the most common approaches used to debunk a belief) requires understanding its history and the content in which it comes from, as well as understanding the meaning and the way people communicate in the original language in which things originated.

If you look at documentaries that try to establish the veracity of a given belief, they always have to consult professionals in those areas (as well as tracing its origin). Additionally, if there are some believes that involve geography, architecture or science, for example, you might need to consult with people who specialize in those areas.

I don't think that there's one field that is dedicated to just Christian believes (unless you go to a Christian school, and their purpose is not exactly to be unbiased).

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

How about the Bible for Atheists by Geoff.Linsley a scientific look at the Bible ?

• punkofnice
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

What type of study subject is this? - relax ... it's just critical thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit