Joe134cd attends a Jewish Synagogue

by joe134cd 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Ok just reviewing my Sabbath attendance at a Jewish Synagogue.

The service was 95% in Hebrew. I think the observation that Jesus made about them been more concerned about the traditions of man than the word of God, still stands true to this day. It was documented even the steps forward and backwards to take. There were certainly commonalities with Christianity, which could be expected. Christian’s, particularly Catholics, kiss and touch the cross, Jews touch and kiss the Torah, when it is brought out of the ark of the covenant and brought around members of the congregation. Jews will have 2 names, a secular one, and a Hebrew one which is used in the Synagogue. Catholics have a baptismal name on your acceptance into the church.

From my observation I fear that the Jewish faith may be fearing worse than the JWs. The service was very poorly attended. This synagogue was in a major metropolitan area. That been said there would have been 40 in attendance. Average age of 60. There was only one person there under the age of 30. I fear that unless something is done very quickly this community may die out. This concern was also raised with me by one of the parishioners. So that’s the main things that stood out to me.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I once attended a Bat mitzvah (when a girl comes to legal age) in a Reformed Jewish synagogue. Well attended, lots of younger folks (maybe because of the event). About 5O% in Hebrew, some delightful music. My aunt’s husband was Jewish and I got probably my first and only chance to attend synagogue. Overall it seemed pleasant.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Yes it was pleasant. I think this one was Orthodox.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Orthodox is pretty strict, maybe that’s why it’s dying out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit