Abraham.... why such a GOOD guy?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by outbutnotdown 4 Replies latest jw friends

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

I used to be a JW, (from birth until about 12 years ago... now 34). The one thing I could never figure out was why Abraham was considered to be a CHOSEN person, not only by Christians but Muslims also. For arguments sake, we have to take the same stance that other religious people do, that the Bible is factual and literal.... (although my opinion on that is different).

So why is a guy who believed that it would be a GOOD thing... to sacrifice his own son for God a hero? Even Muslims, who I don't think would want to be compared to Christians in other things, go along with that belief wholeheartedly... namely that they are descendants of Abraham and ride on his hero status coattails. I don't think it is very good, psychologically, for humans to be taught of such a thing. I know personally, putting myself in Abraham's shoes, (assuming I believe in a God the way that he did...) I would have said to God, "I know, God, you're the biggest, baddest creature in existence... I know because you proved your point in that big thing awhile back called the flood. So, can you maybe go and test somebody who doesn't give you that much credit?..... Isaac and I are just good humble people and we enjoy each other's company, so it would be REALLY mean for you to take Isaac away from me....."

I know the story ends with God saying don't do it and it kind of gives him praise, but why do religions preach about a God who is that insecure, that he has to prove his power in such a harsh way?.........it just seems weird that humans have created laws and morals amongst themselves that, rightfully make human sacrifice a heinous crime, yet most of the world preaches that "God", who is supposed to be a million times better than us, actually thinks that it is an honourable thing.

Any thoughts on the matter?... or am I just being a little cynical about humanity at this point..... lol.... ?

Brad

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

All political -- read Who Wrote the Bible by Friedman -- explains it well

• jgnat
  • bigboi
    bigboi

The main reason Abraham is a beloved figure is his faith to do what God tells him no matter what. That's the main reason he's held up as an example.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Why do people blow themselves up to kill others?

Dude, a lot of people suck man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit