Question for the old-timers (posters)

by Tashawaa 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

OK - from what I gather, when this board was first up and running there were alot of active witnesses participating... so what happened? I'd like to know what conversations, questions, thoughts, debates, etc. really got to you - got you thinking AND in some ways (?) got you out.

I'd appreciate your personal experiences. Thanks.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

tashawa

maybe you can go back to the real early threads and just start reading? I have done that sometimes and it makes for a really interesting pastime......

I wasn't around then so can't help you personally, I'm afraid...

Pope

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

I don't mind going to some of the older threads - but I have no idea where to start. I'm curious what shaped various viewpoints... like did Abaddon always believe in evolution? Was Farkel always "Farkel"? Was Simon an active Witness when this site started?

I guess I'm looking for a "Reader's Digest" history lesson, and a few links.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Check out Maximus's early posts. I don't know if he was a witness, but I understand his posts were all well done. He probably attracted some interesting debate.

• gumby
    gumby

Hi gal,

I'd recommend going back and reading gumbys thoughts and experiences. He was a wonderful bright man and so nice. He seemed to know everything, and was the most compassionate person I had ever had the privlledge of knowing on a forum. He's so funny too.

Hey seriously.........Ol' simon was actually a witness when he started thisplace. I have been here since 2001 but I do not remember there beiong more witnesses than there are at the present.......which is few as far as posters go. E-man is older than dirt here......perhaps he'll wake from his nap and say something.

What debates got me out? I was out before I arrived here, but many debates got me out of religion and intrested me in taking a look at the bible and it's god. Farkle? Farkle was one who aided myself in re-thinking many things. Farkle has ALWAYS been farkle as far as I can remember.

Gumby

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

Hmmm, will do Gumby.

Looks like I'll have to take a good day and try to find some interesting old posts.

• Carmel
    Carmel

As I recall when I moved over from H20 to Simon's board, there were about twenty active posters and about half were Ex's the other half thinking they were getting away with a major sin, hanging out with us. It wasn't long before those and many more exited the society and many came over form other forums already having left the grip. It seems to me the focus then was centered around Cof C and lots of discussion about the benefits of reading it. Even though I'd been out for forty years, I purchased a copy, read it and passed it on to a JW family in LA. I think the ability to openly express frustration and dissent was intoxicating for those early ones and as all know "independant thinking" completely destroyed them.

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit