Deadly Devotion

by William Penwell 4 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I am not sure if this has being discussed. I just watch "Deadly Devotion" on ID Channel. The episode was  entitled, Witness to Murder. It was about the infamous 1985 case of Kim Anderson. I vaguely recall this story. Even though there was some inaccuracies on the portraying of the JW elders, it was good because it showed the JW,s and the elder arrangement for what they are, a controlling mind cult. After Kim pleaded with the elders that she had to get out of this abusive relationship and the elders forced her to stay in which ultimately led to her being killed by her abusive husband.  

Here is the link;

http://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/deadly-devotion

• Giordano
    Giordano
    Thanks for sharing this!  High control religions tend to be dangerous religions when it comes to the welfare of their believers.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Sad story to be sure,  the point being is that the JW organization or Congregations don't want their members divorcing it bring reproach onto Jehovah's organization or spoils the image the WTS. is trying to create in the eyes of the general public.

As its known marriage counseling is weak in the JW religion, the result of this is that the JWS have almost the same divorce rate as non-JWS, particularly in the under 25 age group.   

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I remember reading a book a few years ago about a JW guy who had his own cleaning business, employed all brothers, him and his wife were the toast of the cong for a while there. Then things all started going horribly wrong, the guy cracked and killed his wife and three kids. It was a shocking story, written by a NYT journalist. I wasn't "awake" when I read it, but now I can't remember what it was called.

I suspect there could be many more of these types of cases than we think. Seems that being a JW does not guarantee immunity to all that worldly dysfunction and misery after all.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    They just replayed this episode on IDC.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit