This week's resurrection video, will it backfire on the wt?

by prologos 71 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    Desperate times call for desperate measures. They are worried about maintaining the ranks. Why would a thriving organization create a brochure to return and have an entire 3 day assembly on Loyalty? The GB see the true #'s and I don't think they are good. Karma is biting them in the ass. They are shameless and use peoples emotions to try and accomplish what they set out to do.
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt

Remember when we said that other religions have followers because the appeal to the heart, and how we appeal to the intellect.

Guess that has changed.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    I think the video had the opposite effect than what the watchtower wanted. I had one sister come up to me and say that she is sick of feeling bad with this videos. She said" we know death bad, do we have to reminded of it all the time". My jaw dropped to hear this good jw express herself like that.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Yes, it is purely exploitative and manipulative!
  • millie210
    millie210

I was at the assembly where they showed that video.

I remember all the tears from people sitting around me and the general sense of heaviness in the air.

I also remember seeing a few people (not a lot but a few!) whos faces looked very "set" and grim. They were not letting the emotional manipulation in. They were steeled against it.

I think looking at the faces and how they receive that sorry video could be a litmus test of who has had just about enough of the Org.

• BeautifulMind
    BeautifulMind

One of my childhood friends whose mom died about 6 or 7 years ago, which was a couple of years after my own mom had died, put up a post on fb about how emotional the meeting was this week and she couldn't wait until death was swallowed up forever. Apparently the theme of the entire meeting was death and resurrection and the big climax was that resurrection video from a year or 2 ago. I think it's a cruel play on emotions to remind members of their teaching that they have to stay in the org. if they want to see their loved ones again. It's pretty sickening really to do that to people.

I personally had no reaction to the video at the time, but everyone around me had their tissues out and wiping their eyes. Manipulation at its best.

• sir82
    sir82

I remember all the tears from people sitting around me and the general sense of heaviness in the air.

I also remember seeing a few people (not a lot but a few!) whos faces looked very "set" and grim. They were not letting the emotional manipulation in. They were steeled against it.

So why are they showing it again?

Here is one of the reasons why:

They have undoubtedly received thousands of letters expressing appreciation for the video, and virtually none condemning it.

Of course, that is entirely due to the WT culture of only expressing "upbuilding & encouraging" thoughts. Anything negative is immediately and ferociously dismissed as "apostate thinking".

So, out of say 1 million US JWs who saw the video at the assembly, probably 100,000 liked it and 900,000 hated it or at least were perturbed by it.

But probably something like 10,000 letters about it were written, with 9,999 of them expressing how "encouraging and upbuilding" it was.

So the GB goobers take it upon themselves to think that the video has a 99.99% approval rate, so they are moved to show it again.

• prologos
    prologos
    Alive!: "--out in public and then have to get their act together for the 'next part on our programme' ....as in, now sit up straight we are moving on.... right on, the "conductor" of the next part, an always grinning optimist, had to admonish the audience to spruce up and start commenting.
  • pixel
    pixel

There was a Sunday talk on feelings and emotions at a local church group recently and I noted that they said when we stand in the presence of the raw emotion of someone, we are on 'sacred ground' ....as in that person's heart is needing of our outmost care and respect.

Beautiful comment.

• Irish Dame
    Irish Dame

This video that was shown at international convention in 2014 and again this week is WT manipulation at it's best. I purposely dialed in on phone line to listen last evening. ttdtt, wrote: "Remember when we said that other religions have followers because the appeal to the heart, and how we appeal to the intellect." Thank you ttdtt for your comment, I could not have said it better! That was exactly my thought in 2014 and now! Thank you prologos for posting this thread!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit