Merry Christmas and Award for Worst Gift of Christmas Thread

by GrreatTeacher 5 Replies latest jw friends

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Merry Christmas! It's 3 PM on the outskirts of Washington, DC, but, hey, I've heard that Santa is already busy around about Australia and New Zealand! So, Merry Christmas to you all!

Some of us still don't celebrate, some just enjoy the day off of work, but others of us are old hands at this.

Fortunately, when I met my husband, his family just welcomed me in with open arms, and I got the same gifts that both of his sisters got. I was never treated any differently, and I appreciate my mother-in-law for that. His family taught me how to celebrate Christmas and I think I nailed it for my own son.

MIL has really deteriorated at gift giving through the years, though. When my son was about 11 or 12, she bought him a fuzzy bath mat! When he looked at her quizzically, she said she thought that since he spent so much time on his computer that he could use it to sit on at his computer chair to keep him warm and comfortable! We all busted out laughing and she has never lived it down. It's all in good fun, though.

What was the Worst Gift of Christmas at your Christmas gathering this year? I'll post tomorrow or Sunday since we have a big celebration planned with family. Is it a regifted fruit cake that you recognize from 5 years ago? A bottle of wine for a nondrinker? Men's work socks and you're a petite lady? Petite ladies' socks and you're a large gentleman? We give little kids a break, but adults are fair game!

You can post below and it will be fun to check in during the next couple of days. If you don't participate, then feel free to check in for some fun, and I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas, whatever your plans!

• just fine
    just fine

I don’t really like the color pink. I got a very very bright pink cashmere sweater from my mother in law. Like bright magenta……

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

What a shame. Cashmere is so soft and cozy.

Gift receipts are always nice.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

This year's winner is: a miniature cheese grater. About 3 inches tall with a tiny handle on top. My MIL says it's for grating chocolate slivers? 🤷‍♀️

Festivities are still ongoing, the liquor is flowing, but I thought I'd check in. How did your celebrations go? ( if you are celebrating! )

• Biahi
    Biahi

I wasn’t going to add to this, until I got 2 foot massagers. Sigh. Oh well, I guess people know what I need, but I have great husband who rubs my feet. I rub his, too.

• Listener
    Listener

I must have said I enjoyed maltesers to the kids at some stage and for years I've been getting a box of maltesers from them. No one else at home eats them so I'm stuck with them. Fortunately there wasn't one in sight this year.

One year, as a stocking filler I got each of our kids a giant 750gm (26oz) toblerone. They felt like they were eating toblerone forever and got sick of it pretty quick. They joke about it every now and then.

Our Chirstmas went well and it's always lovely to have an excuse for the whole family to get together.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit