Solar power

by pepperheart 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pepperheart
    pepperheart
    Hi its been on the bbc website that in the uk they got 25% of the power that the whole country needed for friday JUST from solar power alone
  • waton
    waton

everything else, except nuclear and tidal, is solar power too, Hydro / dams, wind, wave, coal, oil, --- all stored solar energy.

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

I don't trust these alternative energy sources very much. The energy cost a fortune and it is only feasible bc of huge government grants and supplements... you know there is something fishy going on when ppl use solar in Britain of all places.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I used to joke that a solar panel was a photovoltaic device the converts short wave solar radiation into government subsidies.

However, I don't think like that any more. Although technology has not changed much, if any, in at least thirty years, the costs of panels has dropped dramatically. The economics are complicated, but there is not much a need for artificial subsidy any more to make it worthwhile.

• smiddy
    smiddy

When Solar panels were first introduced here in Australia their seemed to be big benefits to those who took advantage of them ,however I dont think the same advantages apply today.

Some saying it will take them another ten years before they recieve any benefits from going Solar .

And we all know how revolving Govts. change things ,how can householders trust anything they say.

• berrygerry
  • freddo
    freddo

Friday May 26th was a warm day in the UK about 22/26 degrees with "long daylight hours".

Not so hot that air conditioning would be switched on especially as most homes don't have it or might just have a portable air conditioner at most. (maybe southern business offices might switch it on)

Only getting dark between 9 pm and 4 am so less street lighting and home lighting used.

No heating switched on. Cool drinks and not so many hot ones. Fresh salads and less cooking.

You catch my drift? The perfect day for reduced energy consumption.

But good nevertheless.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

My best friend and his family travel to Cyprus and the Greek islands every year for their annual vacation. He asked some Cypriots why Cyprus wasn't covered in solar panels, considering that it has sunshine for most of the year.

Their reply was that the government wouldn't permit it due to pressure from the energy companies. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but if solar panels can produce cheaper, safer and cleaner electricity, it begs the question, why aren't Mediterranean (and especially Middle Eastern countries) covered in them?

• waton
    waton

last year's flight of a solar powered plane around the world. stopover in beautiful Hawaii

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit