A beautiful memory almost ruined.

by The Rebel 6 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

With my wife, and son we went to an Elton John concert in November. The experience was almost ruined by a security guard saying my son was to young to attend the concert, but we simply joined a different entry point and luckily sneaked him in, by Orlando hiding behind my wife as we presented the tickets.

My after thoughts observations are:-

A) I purchased the tickets months before and to my knowledge no age of entry was mentioned.

B) So sad my boy could at 11 years old be denied an opportunity to miss seeing a world superstar ( at 67 Elton can't perform much longer)

My point is, the organizers of these concerts should know when a rock show is alcohol, sex, and decadence and when it's a family event that children should be privaliged to attend, without sneaking in. ( my boy is a tall 11 year old, and to have to sneak him in to Elton John and a quality music experience I felt was sad)

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Your son was stopped from going to an Elton John concert by a security guard?

Ridiculous.

Elton's stuff is pretty tame, I'm sure it's ok for 11 year olds.

Elton has a family himself, too ...

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

LoveUnHateExams " Ridiculose"

I agree, but looking at these concerts on you tube, I see children are never in the audience. It's sad, the only answer I can see justifiable is the noice could be damaging to the child's ears. But I have attended many football matches with Orlando and the " noice" " language" and " drunken behavior" outside the stadium are less acceptable than the worst of most rock concert audiences.

So whilst I can appreciate some rock concerts are not suitable for kids, i would have thought if a " World Famous Artist " is doing a world tour, it must become pretty obvious to the organisers, if the event is a suitable audience for children. Anyway, it was a musical experience that Orlando treasured and as a family we shared, also I think it a shame that children are denied the opportunity to attend " certain" rock concerts.

• Simon
    Simon

It's not unheard of for security to prevent someone from attending, confiscate their tickets and pass them on to a scalper.

Unless there is a minimum age restriction specified in advance and on the ticket then you can go in. That is your contract ... threaten to sue them (specifically the security guard - get their name). Tell them you'll be suing the organizer for breach of contract and the security guard for robbery ... "or you could just let us in".

• blondie
    blondie

So there was mention of an age limit when you purchased the tickets? I would contact the seller about that.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Hi The Rebel-

According to this website, anyone under 13 must be accompanied by an adult:
    https://tickets.amazon.co.uk/tour/11300084031/elton-john

Here too:
    https://tickets.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXIFFKA/elton-john?showtime=2017-06-08T17:30:00.000Z

And here with no restrictions:
    https://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Edinburgh/Meadowbank-Stadium/Elton-John/12632539/venue.html

Sounds like the ticket guy needs to be trained again.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Thanks for the replies.

Please note the positive in my O.P, was that Orlando did attend the concert. But only because we had the initiative to get in another queue, in which entry wasn't denied.

The lesson is it pays to question authority, particularly if the person with authority, has no authority and simply gets pleasure being a p....k.

p.s Funchback, I saw Elton in Sweden, I think maybe kids are not allowed in a Swedish concert, even if accompanied with an adult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit