Congregation witch hunt?

by dothemath 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dothemath
    dothemath

Heard about a congregation recently that had a local needs talk regarding going to the elders if any wrongdoing had happened, or if you knew of someone involved.

Mostly they were concerned with over-indulging in alcohol, but the elder emphasized "the need to get help from elders, or your spirituality would be harmed". (Words to that effect)

So now there's brothers and sisters running to see these guys, and likely over stuff that happened maybe years ago.

Funny thing is the brother telling me about it said there's been several meetings now where people's names are read from the platform, and it looks like it'll be going on for a while.

I think if your conscience was bothering you, you would be better off being Catholic, at least your only confessing to one person instead of being shamed in front of eveyone.

• dbq407
    dbq407

Thats how it always goes. Everyone is having a good time and pushing the limits in the congregation, then one person gets a guilty conscience or pisses someone off and everyone in that group gets in trouble. Seen it quite a few times.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

This is the typical method used by congregational elders when they perceive that "Jehovah has withdrawn his spirit from the congregation". Done if the congregation's field service and meeting attendances have taken a dive or they have heard things are going one but there's nothing tangible, this method is like fishing with dynamite. You throw it into the lake and to see what bubbles up. In reality it hardly works and elders generally are swamped with guilty consciences from petty problems. I've seen it used a few times in my life but the hard core "sinners" rarely come out by choice.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Adults being told off by other adults for doing things that all adults and most teens do weekly..

"Oh the local window cleaner is here to tell me I drink too much and shouldn't own a copy of Robocop."

I forget how pathetic the JW's are

• careful
    careful

I can't help but wonder if some of the elders have now been having some regrets over the original talk, since they've created so much work for themselves!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit