"Put on the JW uniform - and take off Humanity"

by stuckinarut2 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

We all know about the variation in the "Cult persona vs the "Real persona" of those in high control groups such as JWs.

It struck me this becomes even more pronounced and apparent when JWs actually put on their physical meeting or service attire, or are engaged in JW activities. They become more robotic as their responses and actions - yes their opinions and discussions- are stripped of humanity and thought, and they become turned into some sort of regurgitating JW orator.

When they literally put on a suit or tie, the level of judgement, arrogance and black and white thinking takes on a whole new level. Take that clothing off, and put them in casual attire to attend some sort of enjoyable activity (eg sports watching or the like) and they become far more relaxed, and "normal".

I have noticed this particularly with my father. On the day of the meeting (for the entire day before the night meeting), he is engrossed in JW preparation. This turns him into a totally different person. uptight, focussed, stressed etc...

But, the man who enjoys watching football is a relaxed ,happy person.

If there is a change in the mid week meeting schedule because of a weekend assembly, he is far more relaxed! Almost doesnt see that he is happy that he "gets a night off" from the meeting!

Any thoughts?

• dynamiterose77
    dynamiterose77

One of the signs of a cult is control over what members wear. "Uniforms" encourage a feeling of belonging and makes people stand apart from those not in the cult. It also makes outsiders painfully obvious when they come in. I think it also has a sort of Pavlovian response in the member, "I'm in my meeting clothes now, time to make a good example to all the nations!" I've heard stories about how actors can't really get into their parts until they put on their costume... they can then BECOME the person they're supposed to be. I think it can be similar.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

My dad ways had the "kingdom hall personality". A total asshole that turned into a total sweetheart when he put the suit on and went to the meeting. Drove my mom crazy.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

It reminds how I felt about 5 years ago after being out for 2 years. My wife and I was guest to event to honor a friend of ours for his community work. It was a formal event on a Thursday night. When I put on my suit and tie I started having a bad anxiety attack. It took me awhile to figure out what was going on but I came to the conclusion it was Thursday and I putting on my meeting suit. My body was having a reaction to my cult uniform. Lol. Still Totally ADD

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I'm still allergic to wearing dresses. People at work are always shocked when I get my legs out on a summer's day. They think I move on casters.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit