'Socky' - April 2024 broadcast

by joey jojo 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Watched a revision of this broadcast on youtube. Im not sure Ive ever seen a more cringe-worthy exchange than between David Splane and his good buddy 'Socky'.

Socky told us the story that he read the book 'What has religion done for mankind?' (1951) when he was 10 and he 'knew' it was the truth. I very briefly skimmed through the book and seems to be the usual jw stuff - it has a 'mankinds search for god' vibe with lots of green and purple illustrations common around that time in jw books.

It briefly explains the major religions - and communism, because it was the 50's I guess, and then tells the reader why each and every one of them has done nothing for mankind. It mentioned that in the 19th century, America was a safe haven for religion and gave rise to many cults - without including themselves in the list, of course. The other stuff is predictable - U.N is bad, false religion is a big, dirty harlot, a bit about 607/ 1914 etc.

My takeaway was that the 10 year old Socky, after reading how religion has enslaved humans forever, decided the best thing he could do with his life was to become a slave to a fundamental religion for the next 70 plus years.

Good job Socky!

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Oh, the irony!

I remember my parents didn't consider JWs a "religion" because Rutherfraud had made it a bad word. (Snare and Racket) That attitude was prevalent throughout the Borg until the 1960s if I recall.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You are correct 3rdgen, that is why the expression "The Society" was used for the org. so much, and probably still is by Old Socky !

It is of great sadness to me that at the same age , not year , as Socky a ten year old me read the old late 1950's "Daniel" Book, but I began to question how they could suddenly change the meanings they had taught for years, and even at that age could not accept the fanciful stuff that no doubt came mainly from the pen of that strange man , Fred Franz.

I never stopped rejecting the fanciful stuff, but my sadness comes from the fact I should have taken my questioning further, and woken up and left as a young man, instead of a middle aged one !

All of those Interviews sound so false , contrived, and the stuff said by the interviewee so Syrupy and made up, hence insincere.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"Oh, the irony!

"I remember my parents didn't consider JWs a "religion" because Rutherfraud had made it a bad word. (Snare and Racket) That attitude was prevalent throughout the Borg until the 1960s if I recall".

It must have been embarrassing to have to walk it back, probably part of the damage control in the wake of da Judge's demise. In their pursuit of the almighty dollar, the WT probably found itself needing to refer to itself as a religion to get all those juicy taxpayer dollars and tax exemptions.

• markweatherill
    markweatherill
    Cringeworthy, yes, and maybe just a little homoerotic.
  • Gorb
    Gorb

Explane about "my friend", it's so over the top. They have become clowns of virtual theocracy.

G.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I really must ask that you put this stuff down where us uninitiated can understand it. A link would be useful.

I seriously thought that "Socky" was some sort of puppet!😱🙄 I found the video on YouTube, so I now know what's going on.

BTW, is it only me that would love to see a senior GB member interacting with a sock puppet* to explain deep biblical truths?

*Yes, I know that sock puppet is an obvious analogy for Socky himself, but I don't always like to go for the low hanging fruit 🍑.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit