Awake #4/2016: Homosexuality

by Designer Stubble 174 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

That is what a journalist is supposed to do - journalism is more than this. That's why there are opinion pieces, editorials and below the line comments.

Your other points re the two Pink News headlines are correct.

can we assume that you are now happy with their consistent reporting of facts inline with common reporting norms - no. There still remains a lack of perspective at Pink News. The Brexit ad is denounced as shockingly racist and the muslim ban by Trump is called ignorant but extremists throwing gays off tall buildings aren't denounced or condemned by Pink News journalists.

Western gay communities and their progressive friends still suffer from a general lack of perspective, namely expressing outrage at Westerners who disapprove of gay marriage whilst brushing extremist slaughter of gays under the carpet.

Nice try but no cigar, Caedes ...

• scotsman
    scotsman
    How is reporting on the Daesh executions "brushing it under the carpet"?
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

How is reporting on the Daesh executions "brushing it under the carpet"? - good question.

Let's do a quick thought experiment:

Imagine if a neo-Nazi group was targeting gay people in the UK. Throwing them off tall buildings to their death.

Of course, journalists from all backgrounds would write accurate descriptions of killings. But imagine the reaction among progressive media. Wouldn't there be outrage, condemnation of the killings and the group itself, editorial after editorial analysing the situation and asking what should be done? And rightfully so, IMO.

Why is their no similar reaction among progressives when Daish do the same?

By writing no opinion pieces outright condemning Daish, no supporting civilised nations' efforts to contain and destroy the extremists, no expression of outrage but rather a quick account of a poor gay man's death in among articles condemning Brexit ads and Trump, it could be said that Pink News and their friends in the liberal Media are brushing extremists' homophobia and killings under the carpet.

At the very least, liberal perspective must be questioned ...

• Caedes
    Caedes

Yes, but first and foremost initial news reports are supposed to be about facts, editorials are supposed to come after careful analysis once more of a story has been uncovered.

I suggest you do some more research however because Pink news seem to have done a number of articles on the subject, is calling these acts brutal slaughters by Isis thugs more to your liking? I would suggest that all of the articles I have read on their site so far show similar levels of restraint in the language they use both to describe Isis thugs, the proposed Muslim ban and racist brexit ads. But don't let a silly little thing like facts get in the way of your outrage.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/07/27/this-crowd-brought-their-children-to-watch-isis-brutally-execute-a-gay-man/

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/01/18/isis-thugs-throw-gay-man-off-a-roof-while-crowd-watches-below/

• Caedes
    Caedes
    no supporting civilised nations' efforts to contain and destroy the extremists,

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/08/24/united-nations-to-hold-first-security-meeting-on-lgbt-rights/

You really aren't very good at this whole research thing are you?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

is calling these acts brutal slaughters by Isis thugs more to your liking? - that's more like it. PN journalists are getting better.

Now what about editorials condemning extremist groups that kill homosexuals? Opinion pieces that call for such groups to be contained and destroyed? Comments supporting the West's fight against Daish?

Again, there doesn't seem to be much outrage.

The liberal Media in general, and Pink News in particular, have a long way to go. They can start by abandoning cultural relativism and then by judging extremists' killing of gay people according to Western standards and values.

Please read my last post.

• scotsman
    scotsman

I don't agree. The images that Pink News share of gay men being thrown from buildings need absolutely no companion opinion piece for Western consumption

You also seem to be wilfully ignoring the audience of Pink News. It's discrimination on their doorstep they are concerned with (just as all news is skewed to the local or identifiable) hence Trump/gay marriage etc. And some gay people in the West live lives experiencing very little homophobia so there is shock when it occurs. It's not a shock to learn that Daesh throw people of buildings given their consistently barbarous activity.

In my line of work I've spoken with the Institute of Strategic Dialogue about the reporting of atrocities and they believe that Daesh thrive on the type of reporting you want to see.

And hideously, if we're honest, there's a "hierarchy of death": we obsess over the Middle East but show less interest in what's happening in the DRC.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Caedes

your last Pink News article details a UN meeting on what to do about extremists killing gay people.

That's not what I am talking about. I'd actually like Pink News to support the West's action against homophobic extremists.

There's a difference.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Lets have a look at basic search results from Pink News to see if this 'bias' is real

search results for ISIS - 872 results

search results for Trump - 420 results

search results for brexit - 14 results

Hmmm I can see what you mean now, they clearly see some issues as more important than others.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

if we're honest, there's a "hierarchy of death" - well, there seems to be a hierarchy among the liberal Media: Western gay people are worth more than gay people from other areas.

Originally, I cheekily asked if this was to do with racism but I don't think that is the case. But it's still to do with progressive politics and progressives' skewed view of the world.

Weird, huh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit