Awake #4/2016: Homosexuality

by Designer Stubble 174 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

The new awake is up on JW.ORG
    With the legalization of Gay marriage in many countries, they decided it was time to show: "What Does theBible Say About Homosexuality?"

Does the Bible Promote Prejudice?
    Still, some people would say that the Bible promotes prejudice against homosexuals and that those who adhere to its
    moral code are intolerant. ‘The Bible was written at a time when people were narrow-minded,’ they claim. ‘Today we accept people of all races, nationalities, and sexual preferences.’ To them, rejecting homosexuality is the same as rejecting people of a different skin color. Is that comparison valid? No. Why not?
    Because there is a difference between rejecting homosexual conduct and rejecting homosexual people. The Bible tells Christians to be respectful of all kinds of people...Jehovah’s Witnesses strive to follow the Golden Rule by treating others the way they themselves would like to be treated.
    “That Is What Some of You Were”
    Those who wanted to become Christians in the first century came from various backgrounds and lifestyles, and some
    of them made significant lifestyle changes. For example, the Bible speaks of “those who are sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts,” and then it adds: “That is what some of you were.”

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Here are some loving thoughts from the article too

Some would say that the Bible’s position is cruel. But their claim is based on the premise that we must act on our impulses or that sexual impulses in particular are so important that they should not—even cannot—be controlled. However, the Bible dignifies humans by stating that they can resist their urges. Unlike animals, they can choose not to act on their impulses.—Colossians 3:5. (So practicing homosexuals are like animals -nice)

Consider a comparison: Some experts (WHO? - its always some experts) say that certain behavioral traits, such as aggression, may have a biological cause. The Bible does not specifically comment on the biology of aggression, but it does acknowledge that some people are “prone to anger” and “disposed to rage.” (Proverbs 22:24; 29:22) Yet, the Bible also says: “Let go of anger and abandon rage.”—Psalm 37:8; Ephesians 4:31.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

This view is consistent with their past.

JWs still approve of slavery (as does the Bible). When they hold people in bondage unwillingly using their "chains" of FOG and threats of "spiritual" death (DF), and force you to labor endlessly on the JW Hamster Wheel for no wage and the promise of "payment" that you never receive (Paradise), your a slave.

Doc

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Basic core teaching of Christianity. Nothing unique to just JWs.

LRG

• dbq407
    dbq407

Jehovah’s Witnesses strive to follow the Golden Rule

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

• sparky1
    sparky1

The Golden Rule? That's easy. We control your 'Gold' and we make the rules. Sounds simple enough to me. "If you don't like it, than take it up with Jehovah!" A.M. III

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I don't have a problem with this article. If they are evenly condemning heterosexuals who have sex outside of marriage in the same way they do condemn the gays who have sex, than, I don't see a problem: They hate a lot of people evenly without discrimination. That is not the feeling I had from the kid's video though... they focused on the gays without even making a difference between being gay and acting on your sexual impulses.

That being said, I don't believe sex outside of marriage and neither do I condemn practising gays. As long as everything is mutual, responsible and mindful of the various risks involved, then, its all good. Yeah, Baby Yeah! (Austin Power)

• Labate
    Labate

It may seem as if they are condemning heterosexual immoral urges evenly with gay sex, but there is a difference.

My observation is that heterosexuals who have sex outside of marriage can get married and thereby make their urges Biblically acceptable.

A homosexual's only Biblical choice is to live a life of celibacy, never enjoying a loving sexual relationship, due to the genetic lottery.

I tend to agree with StephaneLaliberte. No harm, no foul.

• Lieu
    Lieu
    They have no business condemning anyone. Not their job.
  • bafh
    bafh
    They are careful in this article to make the distinction between behavior and the person - so in theory that works - but as we all know, that is not reflected in how it is actually carried out in most congregations. Although, my mom ( a regular pioneer & true believer) did mention they have an openly gay brother in their congregation and everyone is fine with it. So who knows, ( I live in Portland, after all) - maybe there are pockets of people where they are actually applying some bible principals. :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit