Shunning.

by LostintheFog1999 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LostintheFog1999
    LostintheFog1999

With so much being said about the JWs shunning policies again at the present time I thought it would be worth reposting this article.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9803876/

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

When JWs, then my family started shunning me, I was hurt and disturbed - at first. As time went on, I began to realize that life was easier without them and all the guilting, self-righteousness, mean-spirited remarks and social punishing. Life is BETTER!! Their shunning is a GIFT to me. I wouldn’t have it any other way now. Seriously!!!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I`m of the belief that when they shun you it`s their loss not ours.

• telmac
    telmac

I get shunned and I am not even DAd or DFd :) I couldn't give a monkey's because I do not want their friendship or good wishes - in fact I don't want anything to do with them!

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

I get shunned and I am not even DAd or DFd

This is very true, especially when a dub missed meetings, assemblies, conventions, and/or memorials. In a couple of former congs, if any of my family members or myself missed more than 2 meetings within 2 months, we were soft-shunned for a few weeks at a time by the SPIMIs. Further, in those congs, if any dubs or VZs (Visitors: People who studied, but decided not to get baptized) didn't COMMENT, these folks were also soft-to-hard shunned by SPIMIs and those dubs who supported these ARROGANT/NARCISSISTIC followers for quite a long time! 😒😫

• telmac
    telmac

I know they have a system called 'marking' which is not as severe as shunning (in their warped little minds) but a marked person is still viewed as persona non grata. I was marked before I left (and as I said above, I was not DFd or DAd), at least I could feel the cold shoulders and sneering behind my back. I think it was because I was outspoken (as a 'sister' I should have been ), I always worked the 'do not calls' (just for the craic) and I spoke to the 'unclean' at the back of the hall (the disfellowshipped ones). I could not just walk past somebody without saying hello, and we were told to follow Christ. I remember asking an elder whether he believed Jesus would ignore the disfellowshipped ones and walk past them without a word of encouragement. This elder told me I shouldn't ask such questions as it showed a rebellious spirit....... go figure.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

THOMAS MORE:

Back when I was in, I experienced soft shunning to some degree due to my full-time job.

I didn’t have a name for it but the feeling was like being on a job where there was a clique that didn’t like you.. But, with the Witnesses, I didn’t care for what I saw at a distance (the judgy preachiness) and I wouldn’t really have wanted them around me.

So, I’m out many years and retired…As others have said, it was no loss to me.. So, if the religion’s stupid shunning routine had a purpose, it failed with me. Thankfully.

• Vanderhoven7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit