Love - the Identifying Mark of Real Christians?

by LostintheFog1999 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LostintheFog1999
    LostintheFog1999

The JWs are fond of quoting John 13:35 that love is the identifying mark of the true religion claiming that only they have this love among themselves. They love each other.

I was reading the gospel of Luke today and thought about the words of Jesus Luke 6:32-35 NIV, “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that."

It made me think what is so special then about this mark of love in John 13:34, 35? Big deal, Jesus says in Luke, everyone - good, bad, or indifferent - all show love to each other.

So I looked at some church commentaries and settled on this one as an explanation - "Maybe the primary way to live out the meaning of John 13:34-35 is to SERVE. If we want our love to be visible then we have to serve people. We have to place others over ourselves. If Christians stay centered on themselves and their own needs they will leave Jesus behind. They will miss out on the incredible life that God has and will fail to make any meaningful impact. The heart of the Gospel centers around service.

If you want to live out this verse seek ways you can serve the people around you. It doesn’t have to be something huge; often small gestures make big impacts. In a world that is increasingly self-centered a selfless people will stand out."

Now that makes sense to me. And it is a million miles away from the restricted JW thinking of only loving the people inside your religion. I mean, come on that isn't about service.

Service is things like - feeding the hungry, helping the homeless with warm clothes and hot food, helping people who have to choose whether they can afford to heat their homes, telling people about the gospel of Jesus, etc. Service is about practical christianity in action. That sort of love DOES identify Christ's followers. People we can see busy in the community helping their neighbours and strangers without the proviso that they must study books before they're going to be offered any meagre help.

It clearly isn't pointing towards the insular selfish witnesses who center everything around themselves only... and have clearly left Jesus behind.

• waton
    waton

you have to love your enemies ( if they dont make that too hard to do ) I guess.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Service is things like - feeding the hungry, helping the homeless with warm clothes and hot food, helping people who have to choose whether they can afford to heat their homes, telling people about the gospel of Jesus, etc.

You make a valid point, it is sad though that the JW governing body refuse to recognize that fact. Service according to the gospel of ToMo III and his cohorts means that the lowly Ama-Ahret R&F JW serves the needs, whatever they are and regardless of the cost, of the governing body. And anyone other than them can be gone and be damned.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The Bible says GOD is Love ? Then my question is : Why would a GOD of love confine Satan down here on Earth to mislead and tempt Humans into wrongdoing ?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Foggy - I looked at some church commentaries

When I was a believer I found the Wm Barclay commentaries most edifying. If I recall, he was Free Church of Scotland.

As far as 'love' is concerned, I really don't believe people have this in buckets full. From my bitter experience, it only goes so far. Even the most highly professing member of any 'loving' faith has limits. I wonder if it's because there is no real altruistic person alive. As speaking creatures, humans are by and large a huge let down in the end.

• LostintheFog1999
    LostintheFog1999

Punkofnice

William Barclay is one of my go to writers. His "book of Acts" commentary was one of the finest accounts I ever read.

• waton
    waton
    Even the most highly professing member of any 'loving' faith has limits

pun, because thy sense, that the deity too, has set limits. The "Jealous God" is love?

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

The God of Armies is also the personification of love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit