Bible= publications

by pillsbury 2 Replies latest jw friends

• pillsbury
    pillsbury

I have never really noticed how much the Society equates their literature with the bible. There is an interesting quote in the last paragraph of this week's bookstudy out of the Worship the Only True God book. The chapter deals with the issue of univeral sovereignty, it states "How vital it is that we cultivate the habit now of responding positively to whatever direction Jehovah gives us, whether through his Word or through his organization. Doing so, we show our genueine devotion to him as the Universal Sovereign.

For myself, I did take at face value what they presented in the literature because I knew they would never knowingly be dishonest. If something was stated that seemed a little over the top I would just dismiss it has someone's opinion or pet peeve. The thing that bugs me now is that they do go beyond the things written in the Bible and twist things to fit through own ideas and expect people to follow them as if they were from God himself. Somebody else's conscience or opinion should not be forced onto another. Especially in those areas where there is no clear direction. I think it is wrong to be on either end of the spectrum when it comes to this. The bible even brings this out.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Actually, I think the society considers the equation to be: publications > Bible

• simplesally
    simplesally

To me, its like the Jews of old with their Torah and Mishna. (The written word handed down from Moses and the Mishna with all their oral traditions that got written down which supposedly interepreted the Law) Now, what I would ask an elder is how is that different from the Bible and the Wt? They use the WT pubs to interpret the bible yet they condemn the Jews of old who did the exact same thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit