My son is not sure about what he has been taught about the common ancestor

by KateWild 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

An Amoeba is a single celled organism. I learned that in school.

Kate why don't you have the desire to check definitions? I rarely get through a day without checking definitions.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Well either I have forgotten or didn't learn it. Even though I have the definition I still don't understand the relationship.

This is not school level biology.

This is going off topic too. My abilities are what they are. And as such I want to teach my son evolution is a fact at a level we both understand.

Kate xx

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"Just checked out the book. A big fat no. I am not buying him anything by Dawkins. He is a fundamentalist and he writes with bias. I don't care if my son believes in God or not. I just want him to know evolution is a fact." - KateWild

Dawkins is a scientist with the experience and qualifications to talk about the subject you are interested in. This book isn't The God Delusion, it's a science book written for the layperson; written many years before he ventured into the God debate.

However if you don't want that then this bbc website designed to help high school revision should help.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Yes thanks we have read that website and he feels that he doesn't know whether or not to believe it.

There are three types of micro biologists, the scientists, religious nuts and the atheists.

Atheists and religious nuts want to look for confirmation bias, scientists evaluate the scientific results and draw scientific conclusions based on the evidence and don't try to confirm whether or not God exists.

Thank you all for your support

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

I did also ask him about the alternative to evolution. I asked him if you believe that God created all the species that exist today, do you believe they all fitted in the ark which was smaller than the Titanic?

He thought that was a good question. I then asked him if the ark settled in the Middle East how did the kangaroos get to Australia and the the penguins to the North Pole?

He said these were good questions. I then said evolution teaches that environment has a lot to do with how species evolve.

Perhaps that's enough for this week. I really did want to find something that supports what he is being taught in school that isn't bias. But it's no big deal really.

Kate xx

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"Yes thanks we have read that website and he feels that he doesn't know whether or not to believe it" - KateWild

Ah, well all of that which is taught in schools (certainly in the UK anyway) is in agreement with the consensus of the scientific community so there is no question about believing it or not. However if he wants to understand the whys and wherefores he will have to study at a higher level or risk reading one of those biased books!

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-Douglas-Futuyma/dp/0878931872

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-Douglas-Futuyma/dp/0878932232

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-Douglas-Futuyma/dp/1605351156

All 3 editions of the same book. Very good but you will need google close at hand to look up some of the terminology. But if you really want to understand evolution without getting a degree then this book is certainly worth the effort (and cost...)

• KateWild
    KateWild
    • If you can't read a book without looking up terminology on most pages it's out of your depth and requires considerable interest and determination.

I did also ask him about the alternative to evolution. I asked him if you believe that God created all the species that exist today, do you believe they all fitted in the ark which was smaller than the Titanic?

He thought that was a good question. I then asked him if the ark settled in the Middle East how did the kangaroos get to Australia and the the penguins to the North Pole?

He said these were good questions. I then said evolution teaches that environment has a lot to do with how species evolve.

Perhaps that's enough for this week. I really did want to find something that supports what he is being taught in school that isn't bias. But it's no big deal really.

Kate xx

• cantleave
    cantleave

A big fat no

Sam don't let your own prejudices stop your son from learning, it is not a preachy book, it is well written, easy to understand and faultless in its logical approach.

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

"If you can't read a book without looking up terminology on most pages it's out of your depth and requires considerable interest and determination." - KateWild

Yes this is true but unfortunately that is what it will take to answer your son's questions. Evolution is a difficult subject, simple premise but complicated mechanisms. But as you said, he is asking his own questions which is a good start.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit