What crime should elders report?

by kramer 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

It's interesting that for Watchtower confidentiality is a one way street, just like freedom of conscience and religion.

Law: everyone should report (allegations/suspicions of) child abuse to the proper authorities when they have knowledge of such a thing.

Watchtower: That doesn't apply to us. Confessional confidentiality and such. An elder can only share intel with another elders to form an investigation committee. And then 3 other elders for the judicial committee. And a phone call and a letter to the branch with specifics. Oh and possibly the CO and the 3 or 4 elders on the appeal committee. So like we said: strictly confidential. The confession can only be shared with 11 elders. Unless the branch will be involved a bit, then it may be more.

Authorities: uhm.., yeah right. And what about when a victim comes to you for help? No perp confessed, so no confessional confidentiality applies right?

Watchtower: go away, Satan!

------------------------

Some JW: A JW friend of mine told me something in a confidential conversation. He smoked half a cigarette! How important is keeping confidential matters confidential?

Watchtower: Whenever a JW breaks our rules, you must tell us, or you will receive a share in the judgment for his sins. Must tell! Otherwise die!

Watchtower is morally bankrupt and has no rights whatsoever to hide behind any privilege they don't acknowledge for themselves anyway.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Anders,

Confidential = shared with 11 Elders now that is not to confidential in my book!

I just wonder how many of those 11 Elders just happened to share that little piece of confidential news with wifey. We could be talking as many as 22 now. Then onto the gossip mill. How sad for the victim.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

What crime should elders report?

Elders should report all crime.

• kramer
    kramer

@anders Andersen, what law are you referring to in, which country, I don't know of a law (in the UK) that requires individuals or organisations to report accusations of crime

so the elders should report every accusation (not proven claim) of petty theft, or assault?

• kramer
    kramer

@loveunihateexams so, the elders should report speeding offences? Or jay walking, or assault on a congregant?

• kramer
    kramer

@landers, maybe you are replying from a Scandinavian perspective (from your name)..in the UK or US that obligation isn't there outside of the public sector

• kramer
    kramer

@rebelfighter - yes I agree our brothers should go through that sort of process, compulsory for appointed people around designing person protection procedures, and for all charity volunteers there should be a day of introduction, repeated annually about this

• Landy
    Landy

With the exception of crimes committed against minors it should be victim who reports the crime to the police.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Just trying to think through the issue, and input would be appreciated :smile:

Very simple. They should report every single crime that they come across or know of. Just because they claim not to be part of the world, it doesn't mean that they actually are. They are citizens of their own country and have the exact same responsibilities that everybody else. Period.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Landy: With the exception of crimes committed against minors it should be victim who reports the crime to the police.

In an ideal world, yes...that is what should happen.

I think the issue of reporting crime to authorities could be solved very simply: remove the elders from the equation. The elders shouldn't be involved until after the crime has been reported to the police by the victim(s). The elders should be there for the congregants in the role of support and counselling.

The WTS could fix this problem so very simply. All they have to do is announce that the congregation should consider going to the police first in the case of serious crime like child abuse. The congregants could easily be told to go to the police themselves....like the rest of the world does.

As far as the OP's question goes...which crime should elders report?...I think there is a problem when a person places serious violent crime, like the rape of a child, in the same category as pickpocketing. The one crime results in grievous bodily harm and the other is a minor property crime. Surely the elders and others can distinguish the difference between petty crime and crime that causes serious physical and mental harm. Surely to gawd they can...

But,...I suppose the WTS has a problem categorizing what they determine to be the "sin of fornication" in the same category as "grievous crime". After all...the bibble doesn't really speak out against raping children, does it? Or against beating up women, does it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit