What not to say...

by joey jojo 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Hey guys.

I was recently talking to a old friend who is a very active elder. I was talking about ' the truth' and he suggested I sounded like an apostate because I used terms like ' the society' and ' watchtower '.

I am aware that ' dubspeak ' has changed over the years and I am pretty sure that someone posted about it here but I can't find the thread.

Anyone able to help out?

Cheers ☺

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

That's just plain lame your words just show you've been around more then ten years !

• NikL
    NikL

I can see where you might be looked upon with suspicion for using those terms.

I've noticed when you are talking about the org you CAN say organization, the branch, the society and of course "the slave".

I have to really bite my tongue when they start talking about all this crap in dubspeak. Usually I'll just try to stay out of it.

Crazy is right though, it is lame. Sounds like that elder was fishing to me.

• steve2
    steve2

Yes, to call their organization "The Watchtower" is a bit of a red alarm to JWs because it is a designation favoured by apostates and other "opposers".

I used the phrase "the organization" or simply "JW organization".

We've had some interesting threads on this forum about ex-JWs and others not "in" the organization who continue to refer to it as (gulp!) "the truth". Indeed, I can still be astonished when I meet up with someone who is out of the organization and who doesn't believe it, yet who still calls it, "the truth".

In that sort of context it's a lazy term probably because the individual cannot think of a suitable alternative. I say, "Just call it 'JW organization' or 'the organization'.

• Chook
    Chook

When I run into the JWs I always ask how the church is going. That gets the mind flying

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

I think the term "the truth" is one of those titles that have become meaningless with repetition. I catch myself saying it without thinking after all those years of hearing it over and over. My wife is always correcting me when I say "the Watchtower" or "the society"' Old habits die hard.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Thx for the replies.

He had a big problem with the term 'the society '. He actually went so far as to say I wasn't speaking the ' pure language '.

I told him it's ingrained so who cares because we both knew what I was talking about.

• carla
    carla

"He actually went so far as to say I wasn't speaking the ' pure language '."-- hmm, cult 101 or what?

• Room 215
    Room 215

What then are we supposed to call this cult?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think alarm bells rang with my JW family when I accidently said "your religion".

Things were never the same after that LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit