"The witness" documentary aired on TV last night for the first time

by joe134cd 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I knew it was coming as it had been advertised on TV. I just thought to myself, I hope that my father doesnt get wind of it. If he sees this no good will come of it, so i never mentioned a word to him. Unfortunately I also had a JW relative staying, who has a habit of sticking his beak where it isnt wanted. I was hoping that he was also unaware of it airing as well. So last night as usual we said good night, and we both had a smile on our face.

With this experience I couldnt help but think of the games I play. On the one hand nothing would bring me more satisfaction to see WT go down in a blaze of legal fire. But on the other hand i find myself having to hide the truth from him. For his sake i hope Wt holds on long enough to out last him. I also hope that they dont start asset stripping and selling off KH. His social circle is there and it occupies his time. He also has little idea of how to work a computer and always has difficulty logging into the meetings. In some ways carry on with zoom meetings is really unfair to him and to others in a similar situation.

The response i am probably going get here will be "would he be so inclined to return the courtesy if I was the one disfellowshiped". In all likleness the answer would probably be "no he wouldn't". I'm not here trying to play down the impact of CSA or the impact of it to those victims. it just trying to balance everything at the point of equilibrium.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Is this the documentary you are talking about?

https://youtu.be/8Wy4qX7LrAA

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Yes you are correct “the witnesses.”

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

You sound like a good person trying to protect your elderly family member your father ,and i respect that

.Regardless of how he might have looked after your interest ,you did an admiral thing protecting him in his old age.

Some very old folk are just best to be left in their delusion that this JW religion is the "truth" , it could do more damage than good trying to force them to face another alternative.

Just let them be.

Take care buddy.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Smiddy3 - thanks for your kind words.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    joe134cd - "...nothing would bring me more satisfaction to see WT go down in a blaze of legal fire..."

Better for it to die a slow, ignominious death (or permanently end up a whispery shadow of its former glory).

Much more permanent.

And yet...

joe134cd - "...for his sake i hope Wt holds on long enough to out last him..."

...I'm kind of on the same wavelength as you, with regards to my mom.

joe134cd - "...I also hope that they dont start asset stripping and selling off KH..."

I do.

Sell 'em all, I say, and turn the Org into just another "e-church".

The way the Org's ideology and worldview is structured, that can't help but contribute to the aforementioned slow, ignominious death-slash-decline, as far as I'm concerned.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JOE134CD:

I suppose I can’t blame you for trying to mentally shield your elderly JW father.

I saw this and other exposes on TV and even for somebody like me who knows all the dirt and got out years ago..it really was shocking to see it presented on television. For somebody in very old age whose whole life is wrapped up in the religion it would be an emotional blow.

I can well understand you hoping the religion outlasts your father so he can live out his time without the emotional turmoil a younger person goes through when they have to learn new things, get new friends, etc.

It really IS too late to start over when somebody is at a very advanced age. I would wager that some elderly in congregations probably know some of TTATT but are going along for social reasons and keeping their mouth shut.

• belogical
    belogical

I am somewhat OLD and can Sympathize with the situation I know that the elderly are having problems with zoom lament that they can no longer have fellowship with their friends at District Assemblies in New Zealand I know of one old elder who knew about the documentary but refused to view it, most are so entombed that they have nowhere to go.

Boarean Pickets are an excellent group o fellowship with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit