Quote from Manal al-Sharif

by FayeDunaway 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Manal al-Sharif is a Saudi Arabian former extremist Muslim who was liberalized by the Internet and became a women's rights activist in her country. Reading this quote I was struck that her experience is similar to a Jehovahs Witness experience, including mine, and gives me hope that many more people who are brought up in extremist environments will wake up, no matter what their backgrounds. The Internet is a fabulous thing. And this site. Thank you, Simon.

"In 2000, the Internet was introduced in Saudi Arabia. It was the first time I went online. Now, let me give you a picture of myself: as an extremist, I covered myself from head to toe. I had always followed the custom strictly. I loved drawing, but one day when they told us in school that it was sinful to draw portraits of animals or people, I felt I had to comply. I dutifully gathered all my paintings and drawings and burned them. Meanwhile, I found myself burning inside. This was not fair. I had learned as much from a computer. The Internet, you see, was the first door that allowed Arab youth to venture into the outside world. I was young, thirsty to learn about other people and other religions. I started communicating with people who held different opinions, and soon those conversations raised questions in my head. I began to realize how very small was the box I was living in. It looked all the smaller once I stepped out of it. Slowly, I started to lose my phobia of having my pure beliefs polluted."

• Dissonant15
    Dissonant15
    Thank you for this! Knowledge truly transforms.
  • jhine
    jhine

Thanks for that Faye ,

Jan

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

Definitely the Internet is an eye opener. However, it does require the right kind of person, somebody who, as she states, is burning inside. Only then, in my opinion, you will eventually give yourself permission to open up and learn more.

vivalavida

• Heaven
    Heaven
    I think believers, particularly those in extremist systems, come to a cross-roads sooner or later. They must decide to accept reality as truth or continue believing lies and myth as truth. In other words, they all must decide at some point to be intellectually honest with themselves or continue lying to themselves. I know as I had to make this decision.
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

thanks faye

I agree with this too vivalavida

Definitely the Internet is an eye opener. However, it does require the right kind of person, somebody who, as she states, is burning inside. Only then, in my opinion, you will eventually give yourself permission to open up and learn more.

the internet together with an enabling context helps - in Manal's case I was very interested to find that the Arab Spring made it possible for victims of state repression to see themselves as agents of their own destiny both as citizens and as individuals while remaining muslim

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

sorry - forgot to add that that the Arab Spring was generated by activists who created an in group (the activists themselves) and out group (repressive regimes) scenario. Within this context people like Manal could tell their stories by basing them on fighting for human rights and justice. sort of similar to our own journeys.

faye I really like this topic

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit