Question about the number 2,520 and the book “New Heavens and a New Earth” (1953)

by Hecce 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

I am no mathematician but a 5 min google search tells me that it depends whose definition a 'perfect number' you are using.

According to Wikipedia the number 2520 is not a perfect number because the first 4 perfect numbers are :

The definition of a perfect number is:

In number theory, a perfect number is a positive integer that is equal to the sum of its proper positive divisors, that is, the sum of its positive divisors excluding the number itself (also known as its aliquot sum). Equivalently, a perfect number is a number that is half the sum of all of its positive divisors (including itself) i.e. σ1(n) = 2n.

This definition is ancient, appearing as early as Euclid's Elements (VII.22) where it is called τέλειος ἀριθμός (perfect, ideal, or complete number). Euclid also proved a formation rule (IX.36) whereby p(p+1)/2 is an even perfect number whenever p is what is now called a Mersenne prime. Much later, Euler proved that all even perfect numbers are of this form.[1] This is known as the Euclid–Euler theorem.

It is not known whether there are any odd perfect numbers, nor whether infinitely many perfect numbers exist.

However, if you are trying to attach an esoteric meaning to a number that fits your agenda, then maybe anything can be a 'perfect number'.

• Hecce
    Hecce

I am requesting a favor, please read the post and the links before commenting.

I am just quoting a WT publication, the "perfect" number comes from them, not me.

Thanks for your comments.

• smiddy
    smiddy

The Watctower writers / G.B. members / Presidents , were infatuated with numbers as were the Bible writers .

Times and dates , figure predominately in W.T. writings ever since C.T.Russell used measurements of the Pyramid in his predictions.

As pointed out by V.I, the numbers 7, 10 , 12 , 144,000 , all pointed to completeness of one sort or another , then Google how many times the number 40 is mentioned in the Bible .

Numbers / numerology , certainly did play a big part in Watchtower theology .

smiddy

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

I have to agree with Nathan on this one. More practicing numerology which they have done since Russell's day. The Watchtower loves to play with numbers.

WTUnderground!

• sir82
    sir82
    Well, at least numerology is mildly more interesting than the pre-chewed mush served up in the "literature" these days.
  • wifibandit
  • Hecce
    Hecce

wifibandit

Thanks for the book, I put the link but this is better.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

This is just one of those I have to bookmark.

Numerology. Great!

• blondie
    blondie

The Bible speaks of four numbers that demonstrate perfection:

• Three – speaks of divine perfection (the Trinity, ​Jesus' role as Prophet, Priest and King).

• Seven – speaks of spiritual perfection ( Seven Churches of Revelation, "seven Spirits of God").

• Ten – speaks of ordinal perfection (ten toes, ten fingers).

• Twelve – speaks of governmental perfection (the Twelve Tribes of Israel, the Twelve Apostles).

2520 is the product of all four multiplied together:
    3 x 7 x 10 x 12 = 2520

Another viewpoint not mine

• Hecce
    Hecce

Thanks Blondie

Over the years I have always followed your posts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit