Did leaving the "Org" ruin scary movies for you?

by jeanniebeanzz 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jeanniebeanzz
    jeanniebeanzz

Many 'scary' movies base their 'jumps' on a belief in the supernatural, demons etc. etc. Since I have left that all behind, ther aren't many 'scary' movies that even make me uncomfortable let alone scared. lol

I suppose it's a good thing, but I laugh my way through the worst of them just critiquing the special effects. Anyone else become fearless in the face of the occult? XD

~Jean

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

I love horror movies, but I do believe in demons still, even after leaving the org. However, I don't feel guilty for watching them like I did while still in!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I don't think the WT influenced my like or dislike for specific movies, nor my reaction to them (after I left). In fact, in the 80s I watched a lot of movies that i wasn't supposed to watch, and that influenced my decision of leaving. I think it was the other way around.

I find some horror movies are more funny than scary, and some just not my taste (the ones with bloody body parts everywhere). I like demonic horror, but not violent horror. Always did both when i was in and out of that organization.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Did leaving the "Org" ruin scary movies for you? - no, not really.

We know that scary or horror movies aren't real but they can still scare us.

Here are some of my favourite scary movies:

The Ring (American version)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (the original 1984 version, no lame wisecracks - Freddy was genuinely scary here)

The Witch (2015 film, starring Ralph Ineson)

The Silence of the Lambs (nuff said)

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

No intellectual maturity did, I also do not watch violent movies for pretty much the same reason.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I never watched horror movies when I was a witness. Since I have left I have seen a few. Most make me laugh. Some I found boring. One or two I've enjoyed and found reasonable scary.

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

How could it? I never believed in most of the things that terrified me in horror movies in the first place. It's called willing suspension of disbelief. That's what allows you to experience horror, joy, heartbreak, etc. through a completely fictional experience.

BTW why should exiting the cult equal not believing in supernatural forces? Not everyone leaves for that reason. Many of us still believe in ghosts, gods, angels, demons and what have you.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Hey Jeanniebeanzz.

Yes! After leaving the JWs, I lost my fear of demons, etc and, effectively, lost my fear in supernatural-type movies.

With that said, violent movies which can reflect reality keep me on the edge of my seat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit