Aer you food prepping since covid?

by mickbobcat 6 Replies latest social current

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

For several years I have been Vacuum sealing and then mylar with oxy absorber's storing rice,beans, tea, things that have a 50 year shelf life if kept dry. I have also been putting back a few guns and ammo in case of a mostly peaceful riot from the left. I also buy Mountain house food bags that have a 25 year shelf life. I can get buy for about 6 months now on emergency rations for two people. Anything freeze dried like coffee, veggies, or dry goods like spices are all long term storeable when kept dry and out of the heat of summer. One never knows what will happen. Its why I carry a gun and have a CCW. I would rather have it not need it than need it and not have it. The buy ready made food kits are too expensive and you can buy and make your own for much less.

• LetTheTruthBeKnown
    LetTheTruthBeKnown

I have been slowly building up about a years worth of food and supplies for a while now. Vacuum sealed. I will be complaining like the Israelites about the manna if I have to eat it for over a year. LOL.

At least I won't starve if TSHTF. Unless someone steals it all from me.

My only mistake was I should have bought a place in cottage country with a log cabin and a wood cook stove. No power or electrical. If we get hit by a Carrington event or worse a Charlemagne event then all wires and electrical devices will be instantly fried and catch on fire. Back to the stone age real quick.

A massive CME from the sun missed earth in 2015. We were lucky.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Halfway

Always a decent pile of food. The short lived things are hardest. I should figure how Mormons do it--rotating?

I do have firearms but have no delusions about my skill, temperament, age, health. The stories from the Balkans teach us we need a group (militia)

OR wait in our basement or attic. BTW, did you notice they never have a bucket in the corner?

• millie210
    millie210
    mickbobcat
    I have also been putting back a few guns and ammo in case of a mostly peaceful riot from the left.

Favorite statement of the day! Thank you mickbobcat!

• a watcher
    a watcher

I have enough food, bottled water, and supplies for the proverbial 40 days. After that, Jehovah will have to provide.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Just relax, no need to prep.

If the US goes to pot, china will invade and they will have all the critical infrastructure back up and running in no time.

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Well, covid hasn't made much of a difference. For many years my wife has chuckled at my insistence on being prepared. At first mainly food items, but more recently first aid supplies etc.

When people were panicking and desperately trying to find basic beans, rice and toilet paper, suddenly I went from silly to genius in her eyes.

We live in an area that is due for a 9+ megathrust earthquake that will likely cut us of from the rest of the world for at least six months. I've also been aware of what an EMP disaster could do for over a decade.

Yeah, we have at least a years supply of dried goods, probably more if we're careful, but I think skills are more important than stuff. I was taught foraging skills since I was a toddler. This region has a huge supply of wild plants for food and medicine and most, don't know how or where to find them. In fact, on interpretive signs the native people are usually portrayed as well nourished (slightly plump) because of this.

Skills. Rocket stoves are amazing, you can build one that is super hot, efficient and produces little or no smoke with a small pile of bricks or a few cement blocks. Medical supplies. Can you give an injection or do a basic suture on wounds? Take wilderness first aid and buy battlefield first aid manuals. My Doctor is a super prepper and I get to pick her brain about where to get supplies and what I should have. She suggested using pigs feet to practice stitching wounds.

Tools. Hand drills, saws etc. Buckets of nails. I like Japanese pull saws.

Defenses... hmm thats private.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit