Mid 80's quote on 1934 not being start of the Last Days

by wizzstick 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Can anyone remember this?

In a mid-80s I seem to remember a publication with a box on a page.

Inside the box it was saying something like 'some have wondered if 1934 could be the correct starting date, if 587BCE was the fall of Jerusalem. But history has shown it was 1914'.

Does this ring any bells?

If so do you know which publication (name, date and page would be helpful)?

Thanks in advance.

• steve2
    steve2

Sorry, I cannot think of the citation you are looking for.

JWfacts.com might be able to help.

Also, Carl Olof Jonsson may have written about this reference in his book, "The Gentile Times Reconsidered."

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Thanks Steve2.

Have been searching JWFacts and Googling but no joy so far.

• freddo
    freddo

WT 1st Nov 1986

Pasted from WT CD-ROM 2014; Bold Print added by Freddo

*** w86 11/1 p. 6 A Dream Reveals How Late It Is ***

[Box on page 6]

When Did the “Seven Times” Really End?

Some people argue that even if the “seven times” are prophetic and even if they last 2,520 years, Jehovah’s Witnesses are still mistaken about the significance of 1914 because they use the wrong starting point. Jerusalem, they claim, was destroyed in 587/6 B.C.E., not in 607 B.C.E. If true, this would shift the start of “the time of the end” by some 20 years. However, in 1981 Jehovah’s Witnesses published convincing evidence in support of the 607 B.C.E. date. (“Let Your Kingdom Come,” pages 127-40, 186-9) Besides, can those trying to rob 1914 of its Biblical significance prove that 1934—or any other year for that matter—has had a more profound, more dramatic, and more spectacular impact upon world history than 1914 did?

• zeb
    zeb

Steve 2. mentions the book "The Gentile Times Reconsidered x Jonsson". I fully recommend this work. It also reveals just how the gb react when they are told they might be... wrong.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Thank you to kjkidd and freddo - I have it now!

Image from WT:

Thank you to everyone who replied.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Maybe we should focus our attention of the Last Days Of The WTB&TS ,by all accounts that`s on the cards .

• Half banana
    Half banana

I find it interesting that no one had the sense to question the validity of the original text. It was a story to promote a political situation on the middle of the 2nd century BCE. There is no such thing as "Seven times".

At the start of a discussion you have know whether you are reading facts or fiction..............

I also enjoy the magisterial authority referred to to give "convincing evidence to support 607 BCE" as the pivotal date. Wow! it was none other than Jehovah's Witnesses in their 1981 publication Let Your Kingdom Come. Well that settles it then!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit