Another example of selfish wordly people..

by defender of truth 10 Replies latest jw friends

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Storm Desmond - How kindness is keeping Cumbria afloat

Read here:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35026650

-------

Today, we are grateful to receive warnings that help us not to have a selfish attitude like that of most in the world. Instead, we show unselfish love.

http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/402013683

--------

www.stylist.co.uk/life/the-most-moving-random-acts-of-kindness-strangers-help-out-campaigns#gallery-23

www.tribune.com.pk/story/991451/how-people-in-paris-helped-strangers-after-terrorist-attacks/

• steve2
    steve2

The world is selfish, cold and uncaring - not like us: we are unselfish, warm and caring.

Nothing like steroetyping an entire planet and promoting one's own group as above it all.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Why does Mahatma Gandhi remind me of Yoda?

• talesin
    talesin

Perhaps, wisdom has he, hmmmm?

• Sabin
    Sabin
    & where were JW's when all this selfishness was taking place. Worrying only about themselves I bet. What a bunch of A holes.
  • talesin
    talesin

The JWS' abuse the word 'selfish'. Having a healthy self-interest is a necessary thing. If I don't take care of myself, I cannot help others.

It's being self-absorbed that is unhealthy; that is, self-interest to the exclusion of all others. It is called narcissism. Many devout JWS exhibit this trait, often those with a 'victim mentality'.

The Jehovah's Witness cult teaches its victims that any act or thought that pleases one's self, is 'selfish' and not truly showing love to others. It's one of their particularly warped teachings that promotes self-loathing on a deep level.

t

• Alive!
    Alive!

It was the generalistic "worldlies are bad" - that was yet another constant trigger for me to want to yell "NOOOO"!!

If you dared to suggest that "wordly" people can actually be really, really nice (Heck I was not born in - so I knew the truth of this) then the retort would be "Ah yes, we may find the odd nice person, but what are their motives? Do they have a love for Jehovah?"

What can you say? Nothing will appease them when they simply refuse to appreciate that "worldlies" are humans who can love, self sacrifice and all manner of unselfish things.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

"Well they seem like a nice person but do they love you best friend?"

"Well they seem like a nice person but do you love your mother?"

What imbecilic nonsense! Alive, you make a great point, just because another person doesn't have the same exact affections as you do doesn't mean there's something wrong with them or that they are somehow untrustworthy.

The JWs deep seeded tribalism and us versus them is such an insidious mentality. It allows them to dehumanise anyone who doesn't conform to their belief structure. I always had a problem with me and it never set well that I was just supposed to expect that everyone else was "bad".

I really hope we see a serious decline in numbers amongst the JWs over the next couple of years. There are far too many genuinely good people trapped in that truly evil religion.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Perhaps, wisdom has he, hmmmm?

No, I think it's the ears ...

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yes my daughter escaped storm Desmond on Monday after forty-eight hours without heat, internet and with only a patchy phone signal. I didn't know how the heck she was going to get home because her local station was flooded. Eventually her university laid on free buses to the next city so the students could catch a train there.

When she got to the front of the enormous ticket queue she was told students that had already purchased tickets for the end of the week could use them early, no extra charge. When she had to change trains an hour and three quarters later the conducter also accepted her wrongly dated ticket because she had travelled from flooded Lancashire. Nice, helpful reasonable people in a difficult time getting kids home safely to their families for Christmas. People are good, that's it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit