Church of Scientology banned in Moscow

by EdenOne 7 Replies latest social current

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

It's not only JW's that get banned in Moscow ... the Church of Scientology too, deemed a "cult" and banned.

Eden

• Simon
    Simon

How many members do they have over there? It can't be many - they only have something like 10,000 - 50,000 members in total.

Scientology seems mostly an American thing (why does "cult" seem so synonymous with America?)

• cappytan
    cappytan
    They're being persecuted?! They must have the truth!
  • Clambake
    Clambake

The more I learn, I simply refuse to watch Tom Cruise and John Travolta movies anymore.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I respect the Russian government's stance. It seems they're weighing up individual freedoms against potential dangers to Russian society as a whole.

I can't feel outraged that Scientology has been banned over there. After all, it is a cult, isn't it?

• Londo111
    Londo111

That cannot be true...only JWs are being persecuted! :)

• never a jw
    never a jw

why does "cult" seem so synonymous with America?

I take umbrage. Just because we have the largest number of fundamentalist Christians, and believe in huge numbers in the literal biblical creation accounts, reject science, gave birth and are base to cults like the Mormons, the JW's, the Seven Day Adventist, Scientology, the church of God, and hundreds others...well, it doesn't give you a right to make my adoptive country synonymous with cult...o maybe it does.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

The reason "cult" is synonymous with America is because it is the land of religious freedom and why so many fled here.

So, unfortunately, cults are the unintended consequence in some cases!

While some may be offended by this, I am not. I just want the public to be informed so that the damage is reduced.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit