The problem of questioning or the lack of politeness

by joao 6 Replies latest jw friends

• joao
    joao

A forum is a place where people should be able to talk to each other, to question, to have meaningful interactions with others in a polite and educated way, to contribute for the growth of one another.

It seems that, here, there are some people who think that the others know nothing. They have all the facts, all the truth and have the disrespectful attitude of ignoring concrete and respectful questions. That's the case of Fisherman.

@Fisherman I would only say that you should open your eyes and ears. The world is vast and any single person or limited group of men who claim that only they have the whole truth are not following the wonderful example of humility given by Christ.

@Fisherman, your attitude shows arrogance and is toxic! It's not healthy nor does it contribute for the growth of other fellow human beings. Which is your contribution for the well-being of others? So far as I can tell, none!

It's quite possible that I'll leave this forum. No, it's not because I can't argue with others who have opposing views. It's because I can't stand being sit in the same room where there are people who can't have a polite conversation with me, people who lead double lives and don't respect the others.

These people behave, here, as if they were elders bossing over others, enforcing the WT lies upon others.

This is not a KH, but it's becoming as toxic as if it were one!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JOAO:

Why would you need to leave the forum just because a certain poster will not agree with you? Can’t you post on other topics (non-scriptural) or do they not interest you?

I confess that when I see these long-running threads (including massive cut & paste) 🙄 arguing about a particular scripture I don’t read them and never will. It’s hopeless. No offense to whatever zealot.. You do realize that theologians have been arguing about these things for centuries.

As for any JW who insists on believing and defending the beliefs of the religion no matter what anybody says, nothing you can do about it. Just move on.

• joao
    joao

LHG:

Hi! Thank you for your reply.

Here, the point is not that they don't agree with me. It's that they don't answer me. That's what I have in the KH!

I like some theological subjects, others I don't. Some issues are really uninteresting because they are very focused on the American reality and I'm Portuguese.

All in all, how would you feel if someone argued against something you said but wouldn't reply to your polite reply? It's shunning, again.

And I don't need this to move on. It feels like I'm being pushed backwards and getting no support in a forum I supposed was a place to help bringing some light into one's life, not toxicity.

As you see, I'm willing to move on.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Joao,

Sometimes people refuse to answer critical questions because it is not to their advantage; not responding or not responding truthfully allows them to maintain a sense of superiority or rightness. I know it can be frustrating. But If you interpret non-response as an admission, which it often is; it will be easier to deal with.

I believe Fisherman is here because he has serious doubts about the religion he has cherished and supported for years. To admit that would blow his cover.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Don't leave. I've enjoyed your posts. Because of my circumstances, I haven't been able to be as active on this forum as I once was, but, I hope to change that in the future. This forum has been greatly informative to me and has benefitted me greatly.

There are a lot of things I'd like to discuss here and get different perspectives on. I'm in a position now where I don't know what to believe. Is there some kind of higher being? If so, does he even care about us here on earth? Unlike many on this forum, I have not even ruled out the Bible*, yet (though I see a lot of issues/problems with it). I have a background in science and am even looking to science for answers (quantum field theory is really interesting).

I eagerly watch JWdom, and I think that in the near future we're going to see it begin to decline a lot more than it already is declining.

Again, please hang around. I've enjoyed your presence here. I think maybe things are a little stagnant now (as DOC mentioned recently), but I think the winds could whip up again soon. I'd love to have you around for your perspective on that potential situation and for other topics I'd like to start in the future.

*There are some here who refer to the Bible as being, for example, a primitive document written by a bunch of old goat-herders, and there are some who believe it is inspired by a higher being. I am open to both positions and wish I had more time to do study/analysis and come to a firm conclusion, myself.

• Smiles
    Smiles

I agree with Mag. Don't leave the forum. Maybe enjoy a nice leave of absence, but please don't permanently leave us.

You may become one that helps another here to find greater freedom, or even the one that helps prevent a suicide.

The cult has left a deep mark in all of us, which, as much as we might like to believe otherwise, is probably still sometimes reflected in our approach or reaction to certain topics... Triggers.

• JWs are trained to dodge uncomfortable lines of questioning.
    • JWs are simultaneously trained to deploy their own biased line of questioning.

Joao & Fisherman (as most of us) are at their own distinct places along their respective journey away from cult programming. Regardless, we all here exhibit human nature.

Heated debate has its pros and cons, but ideally, among mature opponents, learning occurs on both/all sides.

Some of us here recently had a discussion on the subject of heated debate as it relates to this forum [link?] and someone wrote (Simon, I believe) that an excellent principle to keep in mind here at this forum, is:

'strong views, loosely held'

In other words, be firm, but always hold the flexible card up your sleeve because you just might eventually see advantages to adopting other points of view.

I've been a member here over 20 years, and my strongly held views on some things have transformed based on things read/debated here at this forum... and I am appreciative for it. Why?

We were deprived of critical thinking and debate in WT cult captivity... Perhaps that is one reason why some here may tend to resist critical thinking on assorted challenging questions.

Give it more time!

Try to have some fun!

• waton
    waton

joao, Fischerman does not answer specific questions, because he is not able to, without being defeated in his wt defence. he never answers direct challenges. This impolite attitude*** is a tacit admission on his part that the position he takes is indefensible, untenable.

We need people like him on this forum to be able to show to all, how rickety the wt's doctrinal house of cards really is.

Stay around, drive the Fishermen of this world into silence. do not do a "cofty".

*** at least the original Fisherman , Peter, had the guts to admit, in writing, that others, outside the "then GB" had better, more profound, more advanced ideas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit