Watchtower Writings vs Christian Philosophers

by Boredposter 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Boredposter
    Boredposter

Watchtower writings used to have some meat to them. They have been increasingly watered down and simplified. I think we all recognize that. So much so that the writings of the Watchtower are not much help at all because they are simply superficial and mostly concerned with outside appearances.

I have been 'out of the Watchtower' for several years now and therefore have had the chance to read and study different religions and writings in Christianity itself. I am increasingly amazed at how much better material there is out there. There really has been well thought out and well written material on Christian belief and living over the centuries.

As far as modern Christian writers who would you recommend? I myself will list several writers I have found helpful. Not to preach to anyone but to let those who may be searching know there are alternatives available that can be helpful. Several of these were in fact recommended to me from a former JW who frequented this site years ago.

Keith Ward

Dallas Willard

John Polkinghorne

Francis Collins

Marcus Borg

N.T. Wright

Alvin Platinga

J.P. Moreland

Adam Hamilton

I probably have forgotten some. In addition I highly recommend a book by Jeffrey Swartz entitled 'You Are Not Your Brain'.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The thought I had when seeing your Thread Title was "no contest !"

A little before I woke up for good a decade ago, I began to be sure that the WT/JW Org was a spiritual and intellectual Desert. It must be ten times worse now than then !

Thanks for the recommendations for further reading.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Watchtower writings used to have some meat to them.

Not really. The WT used to be more bold and reckless in their lies and nonsense. Now that real information is at people's fingertips, and now that they have gotten sued left and right, they are more careful in what/how they say things. That's all.

• never a jw
    never a jw

2 hours ago

Watchtower writings used to have some meat to them.

Agree with scratch. If there ever was meat, it was FAKE meat!

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    Watchtower writings used to have some meat to them

After 11 years, I found out it was all spoiled meat. Lucky me, I survived

• Outahere
    Outahere

WT thinking is shallow and bereft.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

<<As far as modern Christian writers who would you recommend?>>

Edward William Fudge "The Fire That Consumes"

David Chilton "Days of Vengeance"

• Searching
    Searching

While not a book per say, I do highly recommend the website Biologos which was actually founded by Francis Collins (The leader of the Human Genome Project). There are a wealth of articles from various writers, such as "Genesis and the Flood: The Importance of Genre" & "Why the Church Needs Multiple Theories of Original Sin"

Reading through the articles and picking up some of the books from a few of the more prominent writers (such as N.T Wright) totally changed my view on a lot of things, the bible specially.

It's honestly a wonder how the Watchtower can still fling around its tracts and act like this is the most ground-breaking and satisfying ~spiritual food~ that anyone has to offer, when they never even attempt to challenge themselves and their teachings. Half of what they teach are simple basic teachings, and the other half wind up being just straight up wrong.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

The tracts and books I try to read sometimes so insult my intelligence I usually can't get through reading them! It's like reading a 3rd grade ( maybe I'm being generous) level book/tract.

I get the most disgusted feeling when reading them. That is why I enjoyed Blondie's contributions so very much. Now, Blondie puts thoughtful meat into them!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit