Dutch petition for investigation into child abuse cases

by jochie 3 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jochie
    jochie

PLEASE READ

Last weekend, Trouw, a Dutch newspaper, published several articles on sexual abuse within the Jehovah's Witnesses organization. This church organization attempts to resolve abuse internally without going to the police or courts.

So therefore I made this petition to ask the Dutch parliament to start an investigation. (According to Ducth’ law 40.000 signatures are recquired for having a discussion in parliament).

(Original petition is in Dutch)

We

Concerned citizens of the Netherlands consisting of (former) Jehovah's Witnesses and others

Observe

That sexual abuse is not adequately addressed by the Jehovah's Witnesses organization whereby perpetrators go unpunished, victims are denied justice and little action is taken to protect children from offenders.

And request

To start an investigation into the abuse within the Jehovah's Witnesses organization whereas:
    1. The religious freedom of individuals is respected
    2. This religious freedom should not be used as a means of denying justice to victims
    3. The Watchtower Society discloses matters over handling of sexual abuse within its ranks
    4. The safety of children should go beyond the organization's interests

link to the petition: https://onderzoekinwachttorengenootschap.petities.nl/

• jochie
    jochie

Hi some fellow dutchmen here who like to sign?

• cha ching
    cha ching

Great list, I like # 2... It addresses a very deep root of the problem.

2. This religious freedom should not be used as a means of denying justice to victims

For as much as a JW will want to deny this, many are DFd for *'reporting to the police'

*testifying against the WT ("speaking abusively of the glorious ones", yes, my husband was DFd for that)

*DF'd for talking about their abuse, or exposing the abuser (THAT is defitinitely "way worse than" being the pedophile)

*threatened with losing family and friends if they "leave the organization" even if due to trauma or disappointment or people lying to them.

My heart goes out to all abuse victims.

• John Davis
    John Davis

It is extremely noble for you to start this petition. Something must be done to help protect children. I just have a problem with your point #1. First of all, it is very vague, what do you mean that "The religious freedom of individuals is respected." This is extremely overly broad and could mean anything.

I think you are meaning that you want them to investigate Disfellowshipping and Shunning. This practice is not a good policy at all but I hate when people connect the abuse of children with that of disfellowshipping when they try to have a petition or try to communicate with governmental officials. Child abuse is breaking the law, shunning is not against the law. These need to be separate items and not try to connect the two. While yes Angus Stewart connected the emotional strain of shunning with child abuse he did not connect the whole practice of shunning with it, he narrowed it to only that of shunning those who have been victims of child abuse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit