1/17/94 - Northridge, CA - Earthquake in San Fernando Valley 22nd Anniversary

by Iown Mylife 1 Replies latest jw friends

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

January 17, 1994 - My mom in Van Nuys was thrown out of bed by an earthquake and landed on the floor. She was 72 and she never did get over it. Since that time she has slept in a twin bed by the front door. For the first few years she slept in a recliner! She just turned 93 on Christmas Eve last month.

She was able to stay in her little stucco house, which was built in the 30s and just had a few cracks in the roof around the chimney.

I was just reading a thread on Facebook and one lady said the land under her house was liquified and the property appraised at $100, after the quake. Many stories shared of terrifying conditions.

We were in Georgia and worried about how my mother was doing. I had been telling her she should move with us and get out of earthquake country. I wanted to get her to the meetings with me and she did say for awhile that she wanted to come live with us, but then she couldn't bear the thought of leaving her house.

Now i think, thank my lucky stars I didn't get my mother involved in the criminal WT cult. She has no stress other than fearing the next big one. LOL!

Marina

• prologos
    prologos
    it is a strange mix of emotions, the deep satisfaction to be in your own, home, castle, nest and knowing it is not fixed, but can move, shake, bury you. great news of the 93, 92 two year olds that look back or forward to the life they live.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit