A little bit of biblical Math

by psyco 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• psyco
    psyco

Jacob had 13 children (am I wrong?): 12 boys and 1 girl.

If you flip a coin 13 times, the probability to have 12 heads is about 0.002!

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    Dinah wasn't the only daughter, the others just weren't talked about because they weren't future heads of the tribes. Dinah was the exception because of the story that went along with her.
  • Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I think you are wrong, but even if you aren’t, gender of a child isn’t a coin flip, some males only give off one type of chromosome, which makes it entirely possible the only female was not his.

“All of his [Jacob’s] sons and daughters got up to comfort him . . .” (Genesis 37:35).

“His [Jacob’s] sons and grandsons, his daughters and his granddaughters—all of his descendants he brought with him to Egypt” (Genesis 46:7)

The verses both give multiples for both sons and daughters; they weren’t named though and given this is a mythical person unlikely we will ever find out any contemporary documents detailing anything.
  • psyco
    psyco

In fact, I was not sure. Thanks!

• cofty
    cofty
    some males only give off one type of chromosome

Sorry but I don't think that can possibly be true. Do you have a source for that?

It is true that some males have a slight bias towards one or the other. In the big picture 51% of babies are males.

• psyco
    psyco

https://countrymeters.info/en/World

Is this big picture accurate, then?

• cofty
    cofty

Yes

• TD
    TD

Not completely unheard of

14 Consecutive sons:

14 consecutive daughters:

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

¹Mathematicians acknowledge chance and large numbers will have strings of repeats that look manipulated. Actual manipulators will change coin flips if heads shows up too many times

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit