Have Kingdom Halls ever been used as evacuation centres?

by no-zombie 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

While our attentions has been drawn many times to Kingdom Halls being used as distribution centres (often distributing government supplied relief goods), during a local disaster. I can't remember reading or hearing of, Kingdom Halls being opened to house displaced Witnesses during these times.

Can any one else?

• SadElder
    SadElder

I seem to remember some instruction to elders on this quite a while ago. I think the tenor of the blurb was don't open Kingdom Halls for such use. Something about insurance as well. They always fret about insurance since they are self insured until the umbrella kicks in. I'll look though my old files. Maybe someone else recalls this.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Most all halls are ill equipped for that. No kitchen, inadequate restrooms, bolted down chairs, no storage for emergency supplies or cots. (Inadequate chaperones?)

But put on your necktie and offer an old tract to people trying to sweep mud from their home.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@road to nowhere: plenty of churches open their institutions during disaster. Having A roof and A toilet is better than none at all.

The primary problem, as others pointed out, is cost. It would cost them in maintenance and upkeep, someone would have to be responsible, they’d have to *gasp* cancel meetings and actually spend money and ask for donations that don’t end up at the headquarters.

The insurance issue is secondary, there is some risk but it is low and insurance companies wouldn’t turn down a claim, however the WTBTS is self-insured (aka not insured, they have to pay everything out of pocket). The primary problem is indeed their own costs.

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

With the old sayings of" when great tribulation happens, come to the hall for further instructions" - well, they are selling off the halls, no brick and mortar buildings will likely be a secure site, no cell phone service, no support- therefore, if the 09 leave, and all the trials are going on, the other old saying "kiss your a... goodbye", would definitely apply.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit