Todays WT theme scripture

by NikL 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NikL
    NikL

So today's study article uses 1Cor 3:17 as it's theme text.

I looked it over and if you read from 14 an interesting thing happens...

14 But their minds were dulled.+ For to this present day, the same veil remains unlifted when the old covenant is read,+ because it is taken away only by means of Christ.+ 15 In fact, to this day whenever Moses is read,+ a veil lies upon their hearts.+ 16 But when one turns to Jehovah,* the veil is taken away.+ 17 Now Jehovah* is the Spirit,+ and where the spirit of Jehovah* is, there is freedom.+

So my question is, is it by "means of Christ" or by "turning to Jehovah" that the veil is taken away?

In any other translation I've looked at, the use of the word Lord is employed leading one to assume that it's turning to the Christ that takes the veil away.

• Awakenednow
    Awakenednow

Hmmmm maybe they need another translation revision

great catch.

well they'd probably say when you turn to jehovah by means of christ...

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

They keep inserting the name jehovah all over the place in the NT. Funny thing is like in this case it makes it look as though Jesus and Jehovah are the same person. Idiots!!

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

Did you mean 2 Cor 3:17?

I looked at the Interlinear version and the direct Greek word translated is Anointed where Christ is used.

The controversy I see here is that the holy spirit and Jehovah are the same thing. It can't be an impersonal force.

Paul quotes Isaiah 5:8-10 in Acts 28:25-27. Paul says in verse 25 of Acts 28 that, "The holy spirit aptly spoke through Isaiah the prophet to your forefathers". Isaiah actually said, "Then I heard the voice of Jehovah (Insert Tetragrammaton) saying". Which is more accurate? Per Paul at 2 Cor 3:17, the Holy Spirit is Jehovah.

I guess when Jesus said he will send the holy spirit as a helper he meant his Dad will be doing all the work.

• Yesu Kristo Bwana Wangu
    Yesu Kristo Bwana Wangu

I think, the answer can be found in the next chapter. 2 Corinthians 4:1-6

Therefore, since we have this ministry through the mercy that was shown us, we do not give up. 2 But we have renounced the shameful, underhanded things, not walking with cunning or adulterating the word of God;+ but by making the truth manifest, we recommend ourselves to every human conscience in the sight of God.+ 3 If, in fact, the good news we declare is veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4 among whom the god of this system of things*+ has blinded the minds of the unbelievers,+ so that the illumination* of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God,+might not shine through.+ 5 For we are preaching, not about ourselves, but about Jesus Christ as Lord and ourselves as your slaves for Jesus’ sake. 6 For God is the one who said: “Let the light shine out of darkness,”+ and he has shone on our hearts to illuminate them+ with the glorious knowledge of God by the face of Christ.

The NWT has changed Lord into Jehovah several times in chapter 3, because for their interpretation, they cannot allow the suggestion that Paul is talking about Jesus there instead of Jehovah. But if you read chapter 4, Paul clearly says it is Jesus that he means with Lord. To me it seems weird to interpret these chapters as if Paul is talking about the Lord in chapter 3 thinking about Jehovah, and then in chapter 4 the same message, but thinking about Jesus.

Shows the inconsistenties of the NWT IMHO

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

So the OT is only taken away by the Christ, and when the OT is relied upon, it means a veil is upon their hearts. Then the gospel cannot shine through...

Yep! That's the WTBTS alright!!

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit