"Basics of Blood Management" by Dr. Petra Seeber and Dr. Aryeh Shander - Inaccuracies and Myth

by OrphanCrow 48 Replies latest watchtower medical

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Patient Blood Management arose out of bloodless medicine and alternatives to blood transfusions. PBM has been accepted as the standard of care in Australia and has been implemented into the health care systems of other countries such as Canada.

A prominent promoter of PBM has been Aryeh Shander from Englewood Hospital in New Jersey. Shander, along with a German Jehovah's Witness doctor, Petra Seeber, authored a textbook for use in educating and training blood management professionals - "Basics of Blood Management" 2012 second edition.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/book/10.1002/9781118338070

This textbook, rather that being titled "Basics of Blood Management" would be better titled "How to Promote WT Doctrine as Medical Care". The introduction concerning the history of blood management is full of inaccuracies and I will attempt to get to some of those later, but, in the meantime, I want to present what principle underpins everything that this textbook puts forth as medical knowledge.

On page 285, chapter 20, Law, Ethics, Religion, and Blood Management is introduced with this statement:

This chapter deals with the principles and laws needed to make sound decisions in blood
    management.

Under the heading Principles as a basis for decision-making in blood management, we learn what principle it is that the world of blood management is governed by:

A body of principles and regulations governs everyday
    decision - making in medicine, and quite a few of them
    relate to blood management. Picturing these as a pyramid
    (Figure 20.1 ), we see that one set of principles and regulations
    builds on another one. The very basis for these
    regulations is found in the Holy Scriptures, as I. Taylor
    wrote: “ The completeness and consistency of its morality
    is the peculiar praise of the ethics which the Bible has
    taught. ” Building on the Bible ’ s teachings and the in - built
    human conscience, ethics developed which — as a
    science — describes human duties. As a subset of such
    ethics, human rights were determined and eventually formulated
    in writing. Human rights obviously apply also
    to humans who are sick. Their rights, namely, patients ’
    rights, are based on human rights and specify these to
    apply in the situation sick persons find themselves in.
    Charters and bills dealing with patients ’ rights go another
    step further and give detailed guidance. As such, they help
    government and non - government institutions to integrate
    patients ’ rights into their legislation or codes by
    adjusting them to the unique situation in the country or
    their field of work, respectively.

The image used to illustrate this principle - the Biblical basis for blood management:

Blood management - the 'standard of care' that is promoted and adopted by entire countries like Australia - a Bible based approach to medical care. A bible based approach for secular medicine practice.

Well done, Watchtower.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Influencing the secular legal system in order to promote (and ostensibly profit benefit from) policies that are - fundamentally - religious in origin.

So much for the principle of church/state separation.

Holy shit... I just realized it's almost exactly what the "Intelligent Design" movement was trying to do back in the 00's.

• Scully
    Scully

If this is coming out of the US, the phrase "Separation of Church and State" comes to mind.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Scully: ....If this is coming out of the US

The textbook Basics of Blood Management, was published by John Wiley & Sons, an American publishing company with worldwide locations.

Dr. Petra Seeber lives in Germany - she is a Jehovah's Witness.

Aryeh Shander is an American doctor who is one of the founding members of SABM - the Society for the Advancement of Blood Management. He is based in New Jersey - Englewood Hospital.

The SABM boasts PBM locations in 4 countries:

United States, Australia, Canada and Korea.

The parent organization of SABM is a European organization - NATA - the Network for the Advancement of Patient Blood Management, Haemostasis and Thrombosis (formerly the Network for the Advancement of Transfusion Alternatives), formed in 1998.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I want to give a bit more background information on these two authors before I move on to a couple points that their textbook raises.

Dr. Petra Seeber. She is a Jehovah's Witness doctor from Germany. He husband is a JW doctor as well - Dr. Matthias Lucas. They are the doctors who headed up the team to Haiti for disaster relief with the JW organization AidAfrique*, and they operate an Institute for Blood Management in Germany.

*I think that Wifibandit has a newspaper article archived, from Germany, that describes Dr. Seeber and Dr. Lucas' trip to Haiti...I will check. It is in pdf format.

Aryeh Shander. He is the doctor that keeps coming up whenever bloodless surgery and/or blood management is being talked about, especially in connection with the JWs. I have written a bit about him already, most notably his connection both to the WT's HLC and the US defense department concerning trauma research using blood alternatives.

To realize the impact that this particular doctor has on the world's blood supply, it is useful to know how far his reach extends. His reach goes far beyond his home base of the United States (Englewood).

Dr. Aryeh Shander attended the World Health Organization's Global Forum for Blood Safety: Patient Blood Management, March 2011, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

http://www.who.int/bloodsafety/events/gfbs_01_pbm/en/

I am not sure which organization that Dr. Sander was representing at this United nations forum, but he does have affiliation with these 3 societies that were listed as "...key international nongovernmental and professional organizations associated with the clinical use of blood":

http://www.who.int/bloodsafety/events/gfbs_01_pbm_concept_paper.pdf?ua=1

Medical Society for Patient Blood Management (MSBM),

Network for Advancement of Transfusion Alternatives (NATA),

Society for the Advancement for Blood Management (SABM)

Shander could very well be affiliated with other societies that were represented, but we also know that these three societies have strong and unmistakable links to the Hospital Information Services of the WT. Each one of these blood management societies have members that are HLC people. And JW doctors and JW nurses as well.

At the 2011 WHO conference in Dubai, Dr. Shander had the role of introducing Blood Management:

http://www.who.int/bloodsafety/events/gfbs_01_pbm_draft_pow.pdf?ua=1

Session 1: Patient Blood Management (PBM) - Concept and Definition
    Introduction, Rationale and Overview of PBM - Dr Aryeh Shander

When Dr. Shander spoke of the rationale underlying the principles of blood management, I wonder if he including an overhead and explanation of the illustration from his textbook that so simply and clearly shows that blood management is founded on "Holy Scriptures"?

• Half banana
    Half banana

Generally I imagine that in the educated world of medicine no one expects or recognises that a religious fundamentalist trojan horse has arrived within their camp... but surely that is what the JW inspired Blood Management team seem to have achieved.

Well done and thank you for your researches--- please carry on your good work Birdie.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Half banana - "... a religious fundamentalist trojan horse has arrived within their camp..."

I don't know that its goal is to "convert" the medical establishment to their way of thinking, so much as it's designed to enable the (WT-connected) "bloodless" med-tech industry to continue functioning and using it's ready-made customers and test subjects (loyal JWs).

• Half banana
    Half banana

Vidiot, I wuz thinking more that they are trying to steer blood treatment methods to favour themselves (by going "bloodless") rather than convert the medical establishment and doing it by stealth, underhandedly. The Australian hospitals have fallen for it already.

It's a wonder no responsible medic can see through their cunning plan and expose them.

• wifibandit
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Thanks Wifi.

Halfbanana and Vidiot, I think you are both right.

There is a mutually beneficial relationship between the blood management world and the JWs.

The world of blood management/bloodless medicine and the Hospital Information Services of the WT have a symbiotic relationship that has developed over the past several decades. I will examine that relationship later but for now, it is safe to say that when a person hears the JWs talk about all the doctors and health professionals that the HLC has groomed over the years, both Dr. Seeber and Dr. Shander have tight connections to the WT 'alternative to blood transfusions' camp.

When this alliance, between health care professionals and the WT's HLC network, made a big push publicly, back in the 90s, as an excited promotion into bloodless medicine as the next frontier in medical care - the "golden standard of care" - came up against road blocks, it changed its direction and purpose.

For example, back in the early 2000s, there were problems with hetastarch. And then the Hemopure trials were stopped. What was to be a bloodless era became, through financial considerations, blood "management".

The WT's blood cult has evolved through the years, becoming what it must to stay viable. With the result that this alliance - the bloodless doctors and the HLC/WT - now has considerable influence in certain countries. Australia is one and European countries are in the BM crosshairs with NATA playing a big role in trying to get PBM adopted as the 'standard of care' throughout Europe. Axel Hofmann, Shannon Farmer's friend, is seriously involved in that project.

And, of course, the presence of blood management promotions in developing countries is a big thing right now.

$$$$$$ to be made

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit