Another "known unknown" for me: 1919

by Doug Mason 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Hi,

Having grappled with this question, I decided to turn to the combined expertise at JWN. My questions relate to the Watchtower's self-determined appointment in 1919:

How does the Watchtower arrive at the year 1919 for its appointment? (Is there a date in 1919?) What Scriptures do they apply? I assume they get to 1918 from Revelation 11 and October 1914. If that is correct, then how do they get to 1919? Is it simply that this is the time when Rutherford was released from prison?

Thanks,

Doug

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi Doug,

I believe Paul Grundy, over at jwfacts.com, recently treated this topic; please have a look.  I don't recall the details; but trust me: as is typical, it rests on the flimsiest of premises. 

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Hi,

Thank you for pointing me to Paul's excellent analysis. No wonder I could not work out the Scoiety's "reasoning". It is another feeble part of their "foundation".

Doug

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury
    Can you lay it out here for us as I sure cant remember it. Was it the 1260 and 1315 (?) days in revelation or some other nonsense?
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

How does the Watchtower arrive at the year 1919 for its appointment?

Not only have you asked a question that cannot be answered, you've asked a question that cannot be asked. If you did indeed ask that of most JW company men*, you'd be asked if you have been reading apostate material.

Doc

*You could of course ask if of most R&F JWs because they would have NO f*cking idea to what you refer. They have no idea what they believe or why they believe it.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

The society claims it was chosen by God at that time, even though they were far from a correct understanding of doctrine! (As so much has changed)

So did God get it wrong when he chose them, or is the claim to have been chosen a false one....?

• Londo111
    Londo111

Yep, the release of Rutherford and friends from prison is viewed as miraculous, a sign of divine approval on the organization. They point to interpretations of Ezekiel's bones, the two witnesses in Revelation 11 who are told "come on up here", the release of the Jews after the fall of Babylon, ect, ect...

Chronologically they don't even try to calculate it.

• sir82
    sir82

Chronologically they don't even try to calculate it.

I think there is something in the Revelation Climax book, no?

EDIT - I just looked, the Revelation book is not listed on JW.borg nor on wol.jw.borg. Apparently it has exceeded the "old light" limits and is "libra non grata".

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    The complete spiritual authority of WTS leadership rests totally on an invisible event taking place on a non-biblical date. This mythology invites the question: How do you know this or why should I believe this if it is not in scripture? Anyone can make the Bible say what they wish if they are permitted to impregnate the Bible with their own church history.
  • baker
    baker
    As anyone ever found the actual police documents for the arrest and conviction of rutherford and his co-conspiritors. It might reveal more than the WT is admitting to, maybe they did violate mans laws and deserved to be locked up. Public records sometimes are hard to find though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit