Deep study

by road to nowhere 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Wifes friend had to go home to deep study the Sunday article. Does that mean not skimming headings? The last deep thing I remember was Babylon book and it was a perfect fit except none of it came true. The Rvelation mess was beyond comprehension

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    I have taught a course on Revelation in church after spending a year studying it with my Phd. friend who also went to Bible school. Most of Revelation is literal except where it clearly says it's not.

I had gone through the WT Rev. book 3 times in the 80's and early 90's. So, I can really compare the two models - literal vs. symbolic. I can say unreservedly that what the WT printed on Revelation is the most outlandish, disconjointed pile of horse manure I've ever seen.... and I've seen a lot.
  • NotFormer
    NotFormer

I'll agree with you, Seabreeze. I've been exposed to various end times interpretations, which inevitably involve interpreting Revelation, over the years. Preterist, historicist, dispensational, pre-trib/mid-trib/post-trib rapture, amillenial, post millennial and so on. They all make interesting points and all of them come with flaws, usually to do with what's interpreted as literal or figurative, as you point out.

As a young bloke, I tried, many times, to read You Can Live Forever In Paradise On Earth, even in the context of "Well, it's something to read". It was disjointed and all over the place. A dog's breakfast of inconsistencies and weird parallels. It also didn't pick up on points that it could have made.

To be fair, I found the Seventh Day Adventist interpretation equally confusing. I suppose that that should be expected since the two eschatologies grew from the same root.

• Touchofgrey
    Touchofgrey

The war scrolls, part of the dead sea scrolls ,written by the essene sect . Interesting there are similarities between the war scrolls and the book of revelation apart from the final outcome. The war scrolls predates the book of revelation.

When doing a deep study of revelation do so in comparison with the war scrolls and see if they influenced the author of revelation.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

that outlandish REV book we studied should have woken us up. I remember thining something along the lines of how do they know this applies to JW ( like the locust with the stinging tails being a stinging message that the witnesses brings and the witnesses being everywhere so they couldn't avoid it. ( something like that-it's been years ) But with that book and many others they twist scriptures into knots to make it fit the witnesses. Many times I thought this is just conjecture yet I was guilty of group think. As far as deep study an WT article, they have dumbed those articles down so a 1-3 grade student can get it. ( See Ted Run. Obey Governing Body )

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

For JWs, there is onlly one type of study, which involves reading and accepting the content from the WTS. What would "deep study" entail? Reading it twice? Reading it slowly?

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades

Might mean a need to fully indoctrinate the new light from last annual general meeting now printed in watchtower.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    that outlandish REV book we studied should have woken us up.

Yes, it should have been enough to wake us up back then. It was total BS. Declarations at conventions that no one gives a shit about back then, or that no one even remembers now. JWs were just full of themselves thinking that what they did really mattered. Narcissism on steroids.

So, why hasn't this BS gotten everyone to wake up by now? They are still delusional!

Grand Poobah Marijuana Strain ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit