Ex-Jehovah's Witness elder jailed for sex assaults on schoolgirl

by LevelThePlayingField 45 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Splash
    Splash

It surprises me that he was df'd.

Clearly this wasn't a religious decision but a PR one, since he does not fulfill the criteria for getting df'd.

Like all of these cases it would have been referred to the Legal department, so it seems the instructions they give are now more about damage limitation than 'helping an erring one return to the flock'.

Forget about the elders guidebook, legal are calling the shots.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Perhaps the society needed to be seen to be taking decisive action in light of so much bad publicity... .

Either way, his conduct was wrong against a minor.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

What Winkle did was wrong, but it was nearly 40 years ago.

People can change.

Has anyone read any other reports that indicate the victim's age at the time? This article only say she was a "schoolgirl" and that "She was a child when [Winkle] did that. [He] were an adult." That's open to a wide range of ages.

• Simon
    Simon
    People can change.

So? That doesn't mean they shouldn't pay for their crimes.

It surprises me that he was df'd.

But at least he was. It does make a mockery of the "appointed by holy spirit claim" though ... unless their god likes pedophiles.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Seems there's almost a new case reported on a daily basis, these days.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    i wonder why the victim waited so long to bring the case. compen$ation perhaps ?
  • prologos
    prologos

stan livedeath: i wonder why the victim waited so long to bring the case. compen$ation perhaps ?

yeah, imagine the compensations due from the lax authorities that the 1500 (one thousand five hundred) raped girls just 46 miles from this convict could aim for. don't get me wrong, I advocate the death penalty for 100% confirmed rapists

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

That doesn't mean they shouldn't pay for their crimes.

I didn't say they shouldn't. But when it comes to light that a person committed a crime long in the past most enlightened societies take into account how that person has lived since then. This is one reason there is a statute of limitations for many crimes.

My take is that we should not confuse or conflate our outrage over the pervasive institutional covering up of crimes such as pedophilia by the WTBTS and other religions with how each individual case should be dealt with.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Perhaps this girl came forward because she had heard off the ARC, and wanted to protect others... In the past, many would wonder if they even had a chance to be LISTENED to...

Now, as society/ courts become more aware of the harm that comes, and more people, in general, are voicing their concerns, the time for reform may be here...

We hope, cha ching

• Simon
    Simon
    This is one reason there is a statute of limitations for many crimes.

Which I think most people recognize as being a mistake. Who made those laws? What were they guilty of I wonder?

The very nature of child abuse means that many times people won't be coming forward until many, many years after the offence occurred.

I'd give more credit to someone changing and being remorseful if *they* came forward to report what they did. The fact that they didn't shows they aren't IMO and that the law is an ass and needs to change.

It's similar to the current Cosby situation - there needs to be some exceptions to account for exceptional circumstances otherwise people use position to get away with serious wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit