Oh the Irony!

by dobby 3 Replies latest jw friends

• dobby
    dobby

Six months ago I took a new job and have a new co-worker that I work very closely with because our duties overlap. I have gotten to know her pretty well and although she is a very sweet person, she is extremely religious. She is a member of a fundamentalist christian religion that has many similarities to the dubs. For example, the other day at lunch we saw some people reading the bible. She made a comment about the "sign of the times' and how we really need to study the bible because all of it's prophecies were coming true...etc. Fortunately my mouth was full of chicken so I just kept my head down.

However the most ridiculous thing happened the week of Halloween. Her church does not celebrate Halloween and she has never allowed her daughter to celebrate. A couple of months before Halloween I told her that my son was dressing up and we were taking him trick or treating. She told me very primly that her daughter would be going to a Fall Festival at their church. She told me that she had trained her daughter to tell the kids at school that they were all worshipping the Devil if they did Halloween. I just laughed and shrugged. The week of Halloween her daughter starts crying about not getting to go trick or treating. So my workmate decides to run to Wal-mart at lunch and by her some treats and put them in a nice bag and give them to her as a gift. She invites me to go along.

So get this..she does not want the bag to look like Halloween. No witches, pumpkins etc. I am standing in the middle of a Walmart looking for a gift bag with no occult-like images for a pseudo Halloween gift and I am no longer a JW. "Can I get a price tag on this seasonal, autumnal themed gift bag?" How the hell I got to that point in my life - I will never know. It was really funny, when I got home it hit me and I laughed hysterically!

One thing I have to say, knowing this lady, she is very smart - has a college degree and a fair amount of common sense - yet her religion is very real to her. I personally think her religion is about as wacko as the one I left behind and watching her has actually made me feel pretty good about myself. It's made me proud that I have changed so much and don't sound like her anymore, and it has also helped my self esteem as a reminder that even smart and balanced people can be pulled in by fanatical ideals. We are all just trying to find answers.

Not sure how our relationship will end up, we have already had some heated discussions related to our differing beliefs. However, she is willing to let me have my opinion even if it doesn't agree with hers, unlike the so called friends I have left behind. And fortunately she celebrates all other holidays!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Intelligent people falling for fundimentalist religions.

This world can be very scary and very stressful. Religion offers hope to escape this fear and stress. I hear people use the word addiction when speaking of JWs. I observe this in other religions, too. "Religion is the opium of the people." I believe there is a lot of truth to that statement.

I think a good bit of us need the comfort and security our parents gave us when we were very small children. I think this is one reason people get duped into fundamentalist religions.

This is just my opinion.

Heather

• nilfun
    nilfun

Wow, that kid got a bag full of candy at Halloween without having to knock on doors for it, lol. Yeah, smart folks can get sucked in too.

Not sure how our relationship will end up, we have already had some heated discussions related to our differing beliefs. However, she is willing to let me have my opinion even if it doesn't agree with hers, unlike the so called friends I have left behind.

Neat!

• bebu
    bebu

My sister feels a bit strongly about the occultic element in Halloween. She organized a pumpkin party at her church in response to that feeling, and it's become the biggest party in her town (200+ people). Costumed kids come home loaded with candy, and no complaining. (The church's youth group puts the whole thing on now each year.)

My kids have gone to her party, but also go trick-or-treating afterwards. She doesn't criticize me. She enjoys a lot of the good elements in Halloween (like costumes--they really get into that), but is looking for a creative solution for the part she doesn't like. I think she did pretty well.

(BTW, when I was in high school our youth group at the Catholic church put on a very gruesome haunted house! Chainsaws! Strobelights! Gore!! ..I wonder now how we ever could do that, but back then the emphasis was on trying to scare the lights out of people, not be occultic per se.)

Candy is fun. Costumes are fun. There are some fun traditional games (like bobbing for apples). I've always enjoyed Halloween parties. My neighborhood is friendly for kids, and there are crowds of kids roaming the streets with their folks each year. It's a bit like a nighttime parade, and the kids love it.

I don't agree with your friend's take, but I'm glad she is not making that a divisive issue with you.

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit