God is Real in Principle

by looter 251 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I believe I am more moral since I became an atheist.

Before, I followed a set of rules decided on by someone else. I didn't always think through the consequences of my actions, because if I was following the rules I figured I was fine. I was honest, law abiding and moral, in the traditional sense, but I didn't worry about the environment, social injustice or the consequences of blindly following my religious leaders.

I am still honest, law abiding and moral, but more importantly I think through the consequences of my actions in deeper ways. I realize God is not going to fix everything, so I have to do what I can to help the environment and make the world a better place. I don't follow anyone blindly, I think for myself. I am kinder, more tolerant of others and overall a better person.

• cofty
    cofty
    The main concept is that a person can trust God and have just as much morality as anyone else.

This is true but it's the opposite of your main point in your OP.

Without god we have to reason on the consequences of our actions and try to make good decisions.

Christians take ethical positions for ideological decisions regardless of the effects on others. Consider three examples.

1 -Christians object to embryonic stem-cell research on ideological grounds even though it has the potential to relieve a lot of human suffering.

2 - Christians object to loving adult monogamous gay relationships for purely ideological reasons.

3 - Christians object to euthanasia to end the suffering of humans who have no possibility of recovery and who are in insufferable pain.

In these and other examples they appeal to an "absolute" moral duty that exists only in their imagination.

Rational people reason on the consequences of these issues and make objective decisions accordingly.

• cofty
    cofty
    Just imagine being in a judicial meeting with cofty. You would be hanged drawn and quartered before even given a chance to open your mouth in defence. - Automat

Are you basing that on the fact that I ask a lot of questions and patiently reason with people I disagree with?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

God is Real in Principle - yes, yes he is.

Like Bigfoot or Dracula.

• Anonymaus1914
    Anonymaus1914

Very random comment, but @cofty are you on reddit? You should definitely join the exjw sub. I think your opinions are wasted here, on people who no matter what you say or throw at them, are adamant in sticking to their, frankly, bonkers beliefs. Plus how it's basically turned out to be a cofty vs everyone else, is just ridiculous. Hope you get tired of bashing your head at so many walls soon :)

• DJS
    DJS

Anony mouse,

Cofty has many supporters. We each have our areas of intetest. This is one of Coftys, and he excels at providing insight on many other topics.

I'm a Cofty ditto head, but I've no interest in theism, no desire to discuss evolution, etc, so I view the carnage quietly from afar. And I pity the fools.

But don't mistake that for thinking he is on an island by himself.

We are legion.

• looter
    looter

Not all Christians have that uncaring attitude toward people or do the three things you mentioned but some do and not proud of that. "Without god we have to reason on the consequences of our actions and try to make good decisions." Wait a minute. It's possible to believe in God and still own up to everything you do as a person. Matter of fact, that's what you could argue Jesus taught his disciples. But of course there are the other side of the coin.

Like in the original post, cofty, my main point was that ability to reason on consequences and "make objective decisions" can be likened to a God within ourselves but I understand if you'd rather not call it a God. The reason why I prefer to term it that way is because when people think of God they think of all knowing and the personification of goodness. Well, we have this in our ability to be rational, solve problems, and not be a problem ourselves. Because in past centuries most didn't even encompass these abilities. Personally, that's what I think the bible is most about in part is letting yourself decide what's right for you based on what Jesus and God says.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Sola scriptura atheists...

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

I think Cofty needs to research his last post on Christianity because it fails the test big time. Especially point 2 that one is not truthful and in some denominations has not been true for 30 some years. I personally have attended gay weddings as far back as 25 or 30 years.

As for point 1 the reason some of this is not acceptable is because of the prolife issues. It is my understanding that there has been great results from adult stem cell especially regarding MS. This is not my field but found out about it today when talking to a prolife advocate and her husband who is an attorney in this field.

I think you need to check your facts.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Looter, if you can tell me what the soul is, the thing that hears the voice of God, then we can begin a discussion. If you can't, then you've said nothing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit