A Quote on This Forum Slaps Women

by writerpen 8 Replies latest jw friends

• writerpen
    writerpen

Obviously one of my pet peeves as a former witness was their continual disregard for women and their demand for obedience from us "inferior" beings. As I would read the literature, I would be inferiorated as they would begin talking about sins or anything negative and immediately change to the feminine sense. Hell, even the Bible does that - remember this scripture from the New World Translation: "Listen to your father who caused your birth, and do not despise your mother just because she has grown old." (Proverbs 23:22) What is this anyway? Women cause the birth of children for the most part. They suffer for hours on in bringing them into the world. And what, men don't get old. Their parts shrivel up too and they look just as ugly. The Society was no exception in printing other literature. When they would hit something that was negative, they would swtich over to the feminine sense. It would irritate the hell out of me.

So when I read the following post this evening from one of our friends, I had to laugh because it reminded me of this stigma that I think women will live with for centuries to come. I've deleted any reference to the posters name, but notice that the topic was completely about men, but when he hit a negative aspect, he change it to the feminine tense.

Well I don't want to speculate much, not knowing any of the facts (beyond what you presented) however, my presumption is that McCabe (or one of his associates) was likely the one (lawyer) that also handled all the PAPERWORK involved in this little tricky scenario.

As you noted, McCabe is the WTBTS lawyer for all intensive purposes since he serves as the agent for legal process in California at least. His client is the WTBTS which is another way of saying that.

Generally speaking, a lawyer is not permitted to enter into a Self-Dealing transaction with a client. (For example drawing up a WILL whereby the lawyer receives something in the WILL or engaging in other businesses with a client.)

This general ethical prohibition is due to the central Duties an Attorney has of Candor, Loyalty to the Client, and the obligation to engage in fair unbiased counsel to the client.

A lawyer who is benefiting by some transaction with the client (other than fees for his work of course) might be compromised in how she advises her client and may not always use the best judgement and in serious bad cases, might even misadvise the client to the client's harm in order to benefit the lawyer.

Thus in any self-dealing transaction, a lawyer typically must get a signed Waiver from the Client (WTBTS) or she will find herself in a bad position should the Client ever raise a fuss. Many lawyers have been disciplined including being disbarred for failing to obtain such a waiver.

In this case, too, I probably would obtain a signed Disclosure and Waiver from the Lehrer's also acknowledging what they probably already know of course that McCabe is the Society's lawyer, especially if McCabe handled the Purchase Agreement and other paperwork.

There are probably other things that I am forgetting at this late hour but you get the idea.

This is certainly unusual in the legal sense and few purchasers of property would go for this arrangement --it is bad enough to have a Lender holding a large mortgage over your head but then to be made to add a legal representative of the Lender on the deed as a purchaser so that subsequent sale or even making significant changes to the property would require the Lender representative's approval is a bit much in the normal world. Obviously, the Lehrers understand and are in agreement with it all and probably this the only way they could acquire the property anyway.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

In this PC time, when using 'he' as a generic pronoun has become unacceptable, many people often use 'she' as a generic pronoun instead. I would assume that is what the author was doing. And I think it's extremely unfair of you to imply otherwise with no evidence.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I noticed this too, but don't see anything that implies that the poster hates women. I am enjoying this thread "what is the wts up to now".

I worked for many years with eastren nurses and docters, and they regularly use "she" instead of he, in all cases.

• writerpen
    writerpen
    In this PC time, when using 'he' as a generic pronoun has become unacceptable, many people often use 'she' as a generic pronoun instead. I would assume that is what the author was doing. And I think it's extremely unfair of you to imply otherwise with no evidence.

I think it's odd (actually it's not odd, as it dates back to the scriptures as noted in the one I quoted) that the poster changed to the feminine tense when he denoted negative activity when the entire topic was about a male lawyer.

• Valis
    Valis

Most good writers who aren't biased towards only using men as an example, will switch genders when writing stuff...or at least I think so. It could be the case either or and doesn't mean it is a slap in the face of any woman. They can be just as responsible for bad things and perpetrating unethical behavior as men can. I think you 're taking it out of context, but that's just my .02 pennies.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• writerpen
    writerpen

Please know that I wasn't implying that the poster hates women. I was implying that he was following a typical norm. Let's look at it outside of the scope of the WTSB, since they don't have a clue. No, let's look at this issue from a scholarly point of view. I've just studied this issue at my university.

In his Society: The Basics (7th Ed.), John J. Macionis notes that language is used to denote ownership and power as well as value especially in reference to gender (this is taken from page 99 of the above-mentioned book):

Language and power. A young man astride his new motorcycle rolls proudly up his friend's driveway and eagerly asks, "Isn't she a beauty?" On the surface, the question has little to do with gender. Yet, why does the fellow use the pronoun "she" rather than "he" to refer to his prized possession?

The answer is that language helps men to establish control over their surroundings. That is, a man attaches a female pronoun to a motorcycle (or car, boat, or other object) because it reflects ownership. Perhaps this is also why, in the United States and elsewhere, tradition dictates that a woman who marries take the last name of her husband. Because many of today's women in the United States value their independence even as they marry, about one in five keeps her own name or merges two family names.

Language and value. Typically, the English language treats as masculine whatever has greater value, force, or significance. For instance, the adjective "virtuous," meaning "morally worthy" or "excellent," is derived from the Latin word vir, meaning "man." Contrarily, the disparaging adjective "hysterical," meaning uncontrollable emotion, comes from the Greek work hyster, meaning "usterus."

In many familiar ways, language also confers different value on the two sexes. Traditional masculine terms such as "king" or "lord" have retained their positive meaning, whereas comparable terms such as "queen," madam," or "dame" have acquired negative connotations. Similarly, the use of suffixes "-ess" and "-ette" to denote femininity usually devalues the words to which they are added. For example, a "major" has higher standing than a "majorette," as does a "host" in relation to a "hostess." Thus, language both mirrors social attitudes and helps perpetuate them.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

If the use of masculine and feminine pronouns offend some, perhaps we should use a neuter term. Instead of "he" or "she," just use the word "it."

• Panda
    Panda

Well I should mention here, esp. for those w/ kids that the Crocodile Hunter (Steve Erwin) always says "Crikey, anin't she a beauty, aaahhh sh'es gorgeous." when referring to crocodiles or other aussie animals.And I believe he's said the same for the males only "He's a beauty'

We call apples beauties. I call my great pyrenees beautiful, I say isn't he beautiful. Stallions are beautiful, Bulls are beautiful. Heck landscapes are beautiful. A sofa may be beautiful. My husband is beautiful.

• shamus
    shamus

I understand the reasoning behind your post, but I sincerely think that the poster meant nothing by it at all. It was not a "slap in the face" for women... your choice of words is far FAR too dramatic.

If you wanted to slap a woman in the face, call them bitches. Now that's a slap in the face!

I do know the meaning behind what you are saying... with the internet and all, we ponder over every word, and what you don't mean to have meaning does have meaning because you mean to type out the meaning when you tpe the meaning out too easily, then it means that the meaning is lost and things lose meaning when you don't mean to say the things that you meant to say, althoug you did mean to say it.

In other words, don't be too dramatic, and try not to read too much between the lines. I am pretty dammed positive that the poster meant NOTHING by it.

Love, Shamus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit