If Carey W. Barber were still alive, he'd be in this picture waving the book he sold Muhammad Ali.

by was a new boy 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

A pioneer sister, from a neighboring congregation, told us back in 1972, the visiting CO, Carey W. Barber was working their territory and went in to Ali's training camp. Ali was working out in the ring while Barber preached to him. The 'campaign' was the Peace and Security book.

Ali looked at a picture of the future paradise in the book, and remarked, 'I don't see any black people.' Barber tells him to look a little closer. So Ali does, and buys the book.

Ali tells him he met the Greatest Man in the world. Carey said he thought he was talking about him.

I heard that story so many times, I was burned out with it. During that week Barber shares the experience with the Hamburg Cong. then again at our Circuit Assembly.

On September 7, 1977, he got added to the Governing Body. Shortly thereafter he told the Bethel family after breakfast some of his experiences. Yes, that was the highlight of his life, he sold a .25 book to a celebrity. No return visit, no study, no baptism, he just sold a book to Ali; just like the apostles.

Born in England in 1905, he died at 101 on April 8, 2007.

A very brief article on him in the Watchtower. Regarding the 40's it says, 'In time, Brother Barber worked in the Service Department'.

After coming back to Brooklyn as a GB member, he was assigned to the Correspondence Office. He wasn't up to par, I heard, so they moved him out and had him schedule speaking assignments for Bethel Elders.

When he served my cong. I was in his car group mid week. One young pioneer asked him if he ever got nervous. Yes, he said. One time at the Annual meeting in Pittsburgh, Knorr asked him to conduct the text, as the brother assigned was a no show. His wife said she could tell he was nervous then, but he did do a good job.

Now, knowing some history on the religion, I wonder if the 'no show' brother had taken a spin up to Russell's Pyramid and did some meditating the day before?

Barber was the very first witness I had run into that had a bad attitude, that is, before going to Bethel.

Speaking of Knorr, he said he roomed with Brother Knorr, when he first got to Bethel in 1923. "Knorr let everybody know he was in charge of that four man bedroom."

Before that day, all I heard was praise. Often wondered if Knorr would have allowed him to be on the GB, had he known that.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

Interesting experiences.

Given that Ali's profession was one that is not in line with scriptural principles, why was Barber repeatedly talking of having met the man? Also, isn't that promoting a "worldly" celebrity?

Funny how COs, members of the GB and their inner circle ("helpers", etc) can get away with things that ordinary elders and lowly publishers would probably get counselled (and sometimes even have "privileges" removed) for.

Funny also how some "worldly" people get a pass to be included in "spiritual" talks and conversations if they're considered "revered" enough. I noticed the same about Nelson Mandela - a lot of brothers would talk and act as though the man was a member of the anointed or had some kind of special status, when in scriptural terms he was just another politician.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Journeyman : . I noticed the same about Nelson Mandela - a lot of brothers would talk and act as though the man was a member of the anointed or had some kind of special status, when in scriptural terms he was just another politician.

True, in scriptural terms he was just another politician. But he did have some links with Jehovah's Witnesses. His first wife, Evelyn Ntoko Mase, to whom he was married 1944-58, was a Witness until her death in 2004. She urged Nelson Mandela to convert and he wrote that he did find some aspects of the Watch Tower's system to be interesting and worthwhile, but could not and did not share her devotion. He wrote that her faith taught passivity and submissiveness in the face of oppression, which he could not accept. When he was in prison, he also corresponded with Evelyn's brother, Sam Mase, and discussed the scriptures regarding paradise.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    But he did have some links with Jehovah's Witnesses.

True. I know several brothers who would make a point about that, which in a way is exactly what I'm talking about. Because he had some link with JWs, he was often talked about in more reverential terms, which seems somewhat contrary to the supposed "impartiality" and "neutrality" in the doctrine.

• Mum
    Mum

For what it's worth, I watched a documentary of a reporter going through Elvis' books at Graceland. The "From Paradise Lost to Paradise Regained" orange-covered book (which I remember from the '50's) was among the books apparently owned by Elvis. There was no story about where he acquired it. I also saw a video (on YouTube?) of a JW giving one the the publications to Barack Obama. No matter how big a celebrity one is, the JW's can be counted on to track you down.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Ali was represented by JW lawyer Hayden Covington when Ali was called up for National Service (draft). Covington lost the case and it was rumoured that he was actually disfellowshipped for his connection with Ali, not for his boozing as was circulated at the time.

George

• karter
    karter

Ali was Dyslexic so mi have some doubts about this story.

Karter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit