• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    yeah--Cantleave made me buy it--blame him lol
  • nowwhat?
    nowwhat?
    Pickup trucks are a no-no as well. Mini vans are recomended
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It's a sure way to "gauge" the spirituality of a person.

Doc

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its true, its one of the things where there is expressive guilt as being selfish and materialistic.

A 4 door car is service capable.

Where is your devotion to Jehovah ?

• out4good4
    out4good4

Back in the early 90's there was a elder that refused to acknowledge me and the wife out in service because we drove a 2 Door Toyota sports car.

It was one of my early awakening moments.

• Fencing
    Fencing

I definitely remember that people who bought 2-door cars were looked on suspiciously. I know of at least one case where a young man buying a 2-door car actually held him back from being appointed an MS, because the elders took it as proof that he wasn't "spiritually-minded" enough.

But I can't recall anything from a CO or district convention saying anything so specific. I would assume it was just one of those "things" that's neither official or unofficial, yet somehow becomes law on its own.

To this day I'm hesitant to buy a 2-door car, that's how much the unofficial policy affected me. Even though I haven't had anyone in the back seat in several years.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

It's more of a rural vs. urban thing here in the US. In areas where you are constantly driving from house to house, then yes, a 4 door car is definitely the thing to have to please everyone.

In more semi-urban areas (as I live) where you drive, get out of your car, and then don't get back into your car until it's time to go home, it is a non issue.

Of course in urban areas and cities, many people don't have cars anyway.

So it really comes down to how likely you are to be in a car or just walking that, IMO, makes for the 2 door vs. 4 door car debate.

Rub a Dub

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

Never heard of this unwritten rule. There were a few lads in our hall as I was growing get up. We had lots of 2 door cars between us, but still managed to squeeze in when going door to door as well as trips to parties and the occasional centre parks trip.

I really miss my 2.2 litre Honda Prelude!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit