No Sports Cars Please!

by snugglebunny 39 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Not policy, but some elders/COs thought from God's mouth to their lips...........

A family member started regular pioneering and bought a good car within his limited range, 2 doors....yes many 2 door cars are cheaper than 4-door.

One elder tried to enforce his personal policy on him...and was brought down on that by the congregation overseer who had just purchased a 2 door car himself.

If they can't show you in writing....it ain't policy...of course there are always "special" elders and congregations that have their own rules.

• fulano
    fulano
    That's a Nice one Stan!
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    My former roommate was given a bad time for buying a sports car, took it back lost lots of money when he traded it back in for a four door.
  • Divergent
    Divergent
    My cong was full of practical & boring cars. Nothing interesting to see here... move on!
  • Londo111
    Londo111

In my neck of the woods, two-door cars were called "Baptist cars".

Four doors were always a consideration when buying a car because of field service.

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN
    stan livedeath - you lucky bugger !
  • OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

It was one of the things my first PO counseled me about: Get rid of my 2-door '73 Dodge Charger muscle car V8

For me it was a '68 Dodge Charger. Blue, black top, and white interior. Also chastised for having a vehicle looking to worldly. Still don't have a four door vehicle.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This comment in a WT stuck in my mind ..

Wt 1983 1/15 p24

Is it not true that, upon observing the apparent advantages of having material things, newer ones in the way of the truth are inclined also to pursue materialistic goals, perhaps to their own spiritual disaster?7 The experience of a Christian elder in Germany, who also happens to be wealthy, is noteworthy. A Christian brother, knowing something about his financial status, asked him why he drove a Volkswagen (a less expensive car) and lived in a modest apartment. Becoming very serious, he answered: ‘Because if I drove a Mercedes Benz (a luxury car) and lived in an ostentatious manner, it could have a damaging effect on the spirituality of my Christian brothers and sisters.’ How different that attitude is from the world’s! To make a “showy display of one’s means of life” is the way of the world

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence
    Before my current car, I never had a 4-door. I had two convertibles and two hardtop 2-door cars. Nobody ever said anything to me directly.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

off on field service ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit